Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Is this normal?

Question Is this normal?

Have about 72-7300 rpms right now...

Just pulled my supercharger to check slip and noticed the blade seems to have worn and there is a gap around the outside... the bearings seem tight and there is no play in any direction. and those are the metal washers correct?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0002.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	123.3 KB 
ID:	330024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0005.jpg 
Views:	173 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	330027

Also just wanted to check that i have my driveline into the oil seal/crankshaft bearing correctly. When installing the drive line the bearing fell out so i poked it back in and put a new clamp on it.

Name:	DSC_0007.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	330029

AND is that normal for an oil filter to have metal shavings like that? I changed it out now.

Name:	DSC_0009.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	94.0 KB 
ID:	330031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0010.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	330036

+1
    NO. A whole lot of bad going on here. Charger touchdown, washers let go at one point, oil filter collapsing. Just reclamping the drive bearing wont work either. Some guys have had luck with silicone on them, not me.. replace

So yes the charger has touched the sides... Why? nothing seems loose. Engine was rebuilt 50-60 hours ago cos someone sunk it while running (before my time). So would the damage have been done then?

Washers may have let go previous to rebuild. There was no work done to sc since rebuild. I have receipts the guy was not pulling my leg about rebuild.

The drive bearing is not leaking. I checked it. Its done almost ten hours since i re clamped it. As long as the driveline is all the way in and the bearing looks correct it will be ok i would have thought? I keep a good eye on these things just wanted to make sure the installation was correct.

Why would the filter collapse? Its just old? I replaced it so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern was with the rather big? shavings in the old filter. Oil is not dirty/dark at all. apart from those shavings.

thanks for your answer and patience with a wanna be mechanic lol

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Looks like you are going to be a full fledged mechanic real soon....

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    That wheel has definitely touched down.... but it may have happened prior to a rebuild. That's an 04 charger with an 08 rebuilt kit.

6. +1 by:

+1
    Whoever rebuilt charger was pulling someones leg. If he rebuilt he didn't replace bearings. If he replaced bearings he didn't catch the worn wheel

+1
    Bearing looks ok, if it doesn't leak good for you.. I never had that luck

so guys i think we have established there is a situation... What causes the filter to collapse? And are the shavings something to worry about?

my rpm is down. if i check supercharger slip and adjust will that be good enough? like i said earlier its got 40 hours left on the sc bearings and they feel tight. i think the sc wheel was damaged before the rebuild. if its not hurting anything then i will leave it till the 40 hours is up.

ill dig out my receipts... rebuild kit for supercharger was 350$ that would have been bearings surely...

its been submerged since rebuild... it was overnight. pulled plugs and turned over. changed oil 5-6 times and ran it hot to get water out. Is there a chance the main bearings lost there coating? that was about 10 hours ago. rpm drop was 300 down before submerging and about another 300 down after submerging.

has done a lot of high rpm riding. lots of jumping/cavitating. and been used with the flyboard for almost 20 hours now. so not an easy life for this motor. but of course all in good fun!
    Last edited by JamieCraigGreenfield; 05-21-2014 at 10:55 PM.

+1
    Collapse caused by debris in filter like shavings, that lead to oil starvation making shavings. Wheel and housing like that wont make boost causing loss in rpm

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Usually a collapsed oil filter if from clogged oil screens...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information