Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Polaris SL-650 Project Ski

Hi all, new to this forum so sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place! I'm looking at picking up a 1995 SL-650 in decent shape, but the guy said he melted the electrical harness and it needs new carb covers. He said that otherwise it's in good shape and was running before that. I've been reading a lot about these but I'm wondering if this is going to be a difficult job. I'm new to jet skis but I'm fairly good with anything electric or mechanical. I'm also wondering if there's anything else I should do before I get it running as a precaution; I've seen replacing the fuel lines and fuel pump is suggested. Thank you!

Be sure to throw a compression tester on it to begin with and see what kind of compression your working with

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Trent_sl750 View Post
    Be sure to throw a compression tester on it to begin with and see what kind of compression your working with
    Probably won't be able to do that with a fried electrical harness.

It is an involved, but not impossible, job to make the repairs. More than likely you will want to pull the motor, check that the stator is still good, may need to replace it, will want to rebuild the carbs, verify the rest of the fuel and electrical systems are up to snuff, etc...

Check this out.... http://polarispwcknowledge.shorturl.com/first-things-to-do
    Last edited by K447; 05-22-2014 at 08:29 AM.

I'm going to buy it tonight. What parts are interchangeable on the SL 650 and SL 750? I'm assuming since the electrical harness is fried, that means it needs a new electrical box? Or is that a different part? Thanks again.

+1
    The electrical harness that is likely fried is the connection between the electrical box and the magneto stator under the flywheel. There is a good chance that if the harness if fried, the magneto stator is also bad. The CDI may have been damaged as well. Worse case you may need to replace the magneto stator, CDI, and all components within the box. Best case, you repair the wires on the stator.

In my opinion, it is mandatory that you upgrade the fuel system including the lines, pump, and carb internals prior to running the ski.

The CDI and Magneto stator on the 650s are only compatible with other 650s and the 93 750.
    Some other parts like the ebox, drive shaft, crankshaft, carbs, intake manifold, exhaust system, fuel shutoff switch, flame arrestor, jet pump assembly, ride plate, impeller, handlebars, etc. are interchangeable. See http://parts.polarisind.com/Browse/Browse.asp for a listing of all parts and cross references. Electrical components mentioned, cylinders, pistons, and heads will be different due to the motor size.

Thanks a lot guys, this is really helping. I'm planning on rebuilding the carb and putting in a new fuel pump and lines. I have noticed this ski is absolutely barebones; there isn't a gas gauge, oil gauge, speedometer, etc. How could I go about adding some of this stuff, if it's feasible?

Also, where can I find more of the flotation foam on the inside or something that would work instead? The mini fire the owner caused burned some of it away.

Just picked up either a '94 or '95 SL750's electrical box for $30! How would I go about transplanting the CDI from my 650 into this new electrical box? Or is that not possible?

Just got the engine out and I have a few more questions. First, compression on the first two cylinders was about 119 psi but the PTO was about 90. Is that good or bad?I'mJust got the engine out and I have a few more questions. First, compression on the first two cylinders was about 119 psi but the PTO was about 90. Is that good or bad?

+1
    Putting the 650 CDI in the 750 box is simple. It should just be a matter of opening the box, disconnecting all the CDI connectors, and unbolting it. Reverse for install. All the wire colors are the same....

119 is good, 90 is low. Compression should be within 10% of each other, so no more than 11 PSI apart. It will probably run like that, but there is likely something going on in the cylinder with 90 that should be looked into. Could be rings starting to go, gouges in the cylinder walls, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by BlueFishCrisis View Post
    Putting the 650 CDI in the 750 box is simple. It should just be a matter of opening the box, disconnecting all the CDI connectors, and unbolting it. Reverse for install. All the wire colors are the same....

119 is good, 90 is low. Compression should be within 10% of each other, so no more than 11 PSI apart. It will probably run like that, but there is likely something going on in the cylinder with 90 that should be looked into. Could be rings starting to go, gouges in the cylinder walls, etc....
    The 750's electrical box has a lot more wires and many seem to be different colors than the original box. Is it supposed to be like that? Or are they supposed to be identical apart from the CDI?

I might just rebuild that cylinder then. Better safe than sorry. I'll open it up and take a look. Thanks!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information