Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1

    '12 Kawasaki 300X vs '13 Sea Doo RXT 260 - pros and cons - suggestions welcome

    I'll post this in both the Sea Doo and Kawasaki sections for suggestions/advice. I am a Sea Doo person and know nothing about Kawasaki's.

    I'll soon be parting with my 2008 GTX Limited 215 (with mods) and looking to step into a new machine. I have a chance to get a great deal on some "leftover" new ski's. One is a 2013 RXT 260 and the other is a "new" 2012 300X.

    What I'm looking for is a solid 75 mph (GPS) ski. I put a tune and CAI on my friend's 2012 RXTX and it went 75.3 MPH GPS just about a month ago. That was impressive to me for just a couple mods. I know the 300X has holeshot advantage and rides better in the chop. But I like the brakes on the Sea Doo and feel like it may have an advanatage on top end (?).

    -Does the new Sea Doo S3 hull still fall behind the 300X for running in the chop?

    -Are Kawasaki's hard to work on and/or mod? (access to engine, etc)

    -what mods are needed for a solid 75 mph GPS?

    Thanks!


  2. #2
    Moderator #985 lasportsmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pierre Part, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,780
    +1
    358
    IMO the only reasonale options of current supercharged skis on the market is the Ultra 300/310 and the new Yamahas FZ and FX models. Rivers and calm lakes Yamaha, higher traffic or larger lakes and salt water riding Kawasaki.
    The ultra yes you can get it to a solid 75 and the Yamaha 80.

    as far as the two models mentioned the Ultra. It can run your required speed in all conditions. The S3 is not even in the same league in choppy water. (FX is the ky other option there) the belt drive over the clutches and the carbon seal are the two things that until they change them are huge faults to me.

    Bottom line go go ride both and spend your money on what you want.

  3. +1 by:


  4. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    IMO the only reasonale options of current supercharged skis on the market is the Ultra 300/310 and the new Yamahas FZ and FX models. Rivers and calm lakes Yamaha, higher traffic or larger lakes and salt water riding Kawasaki.
    The ultra yes you can get it to a solid 75 and the Yamaha 80.
    What mods are needed on a 2012 300X to be at a solid 75 GPS?

  5. #4
    Moderator #985 lasportsmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pierre Part, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,780
    +1
    358
    There is a full list many times over on here. Since we don't have problems with the ski cluttering up the sections it seems most new threads are about this. Smokeysevin made a great thread and it is a sticky.
    There are skis that are in the 77-78 range consistently without touching the engine.

  6. +1 by:


  7. #5
    Moderator #985 lasportsmn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Pierre Part, Louisiana
    Posts
    4,780
    +1
    358
    Scom only gets most 72-75.

  8. #6
    I have been on a 2013 RXT 260 at 70 mph and it was a pretty nervous riding Ski; and to that extent the water was not that rough. I think it's the Ultra hands down here.

    Even if you can only get the Ultra to 73 mph, it is still going to be the better choice. JB

  9. +1 by:


  10. #7

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Australia Melbourne
    Posts
    839
    +1
    137
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedgta View Post
    I'll post this in both the Sea Doo and Kawasaki sections for suggestions/advice. I am a Sea Doo person and know nothing about Kawasaki's.

    I'll soon be parting with my 2008 GTX Limited 215 (with mods) and looking to step into a new machine. I have a chance to get a great deal on some "leftover" new ski's. One is a 2013 RXT 260 and the other is a "new" 2012 300X.

    What I'm looking for is a solid 75 mph (GPS) ski. I put a tune and CAI on my friend's 2012 RXTX and it went 75.3 MPH GPS just about a month ago. That was impressive to me for just a couple mods. I know the 300X has holeshot advantage and rides better in the chop. But I like the brakes on the Sea Doo and feel like it may have an advanatage on top end (?).

    -Does the new Sea Doo S3 hull still fall behind the 300X for running in the chop?

    -Are Kawasaki's hard to work on and/or mod? (access to engine, etc)

    -what mods are needed for a solid 75 mph GPS?

    Thanks!
    I'm not being a smart ass, but can you explain when comparing both skis features, why not having brakes on the 300x would be a deal breaker.

    IMO I wouldn't or couldn't give a flying fart about brakes on a jetski.
    Last edited by ange5583; 05-24-2014 at 05:00 AM.

  11. +1 by:


  12. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by john belton View Post
    I have been on a 2013 RXT 260 at 70 mph and it was a pretty nervous riding Ski; and to that extent the water was not that rough. I think it's the Ultra hands down here.

    Even if you can only get the Ultra to 73 mph, it is still going to be the better choice. JB
    Neither my 08 GTX Limited (older hull), nor my friend's '12 RXTX felt unstable to me at 70-75 mph. Maybe it's all relative though, as I've never been on a 300X.

    Quote Originally Posted by ange5583 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by boostedgta View Post
    I'll post this in both the Sea Doo and Kawasaki sections for suggestions/advice. I am a Sea Doo person and know nothing about Kawasaki's.

    I'll soon be parting with my 2008 GTX Limited 215 (with mods) and looking to step into a new machine. I have a chance to get a great deal on some "leftover" new ski's. One is a 2013 RXT 260 and the other is a "new" 2012 300X.

    What I'm looking for is a solid 75 mph (GPS) ski. I put a tune and CAI on my friend's 2012 RXTX and it went 75.3 MPH GPS just about a month ago. That was impressive to me for just a couple mods. I know the 300X has holeshot advantage and rides better in the chop. But I like the brakes on the Sea Doo and feel like it may have an advanatage on top end (?).

    -Does the new Sea Doo S3 hull still fall behind the 300X for running in the chop?

    -Are Kawasaki's hard to work on and/or mod? (access to engine, etc)

    -what mods are needed for a solid 75 mph GPS?

    Thanks!
    I'm not being a smart ass, but can you explain when comparing both skis features, 300x not having brakes could be the dealer breaker.
    Just personal preference. I like the braking feature, and also like having a true neutral for docking and maneuverability.

  13. #9
    DH300's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    1,149
    +1
    217
    I think the ultra is the better choice here.I beat a t-x in light chop in a drag race box stock.

    Advantages of the 300 - The ultra has better acceleration, better in rough water, more stable at speed, and it has storage to pack for a vacation. Can hit 75 with very few mods.
    Disadvantages of the 300 - drinks high octane fuel, is factory limited to 67, likely takes an aftermarket sc/turbo setup to get 80 mph.

    Advantages of the t-x - tops out slightly higher than the 300 box stock(can be changed with a SCOM), carves turns better than the competition, runs on 87 octane, has great mod potential
    disadvantages of the T-X - does not have as good of a hole shot as the 300, not near as good in the rough as the 300, not much storage at all, doesn't have a reboarding step, not as stable at speed, needs a sc rebuild every 200 hrs.

    good luck with your choice!

  14. #10
    Olomana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tahiti, French Polynesia
    Posts
    1,414
    +1
    76
    Something to consider, it might not be very important to some...
    But if you do a lot of maneuver, IBR on the Sea Doo is something to consider as well.
    Today I rode my new 300X for an hour, and I do really miss the Neutral on a Ski.
    Also, the reverse on the Ultra is so bad... lol

    But other than that, the Kawi is a big winner in rough!

    You need to ride both!

  15. +1 by:


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. help me decide Yamaha FX SVHO vs Sea-Doo RXT-260
    By truwrxtacy in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-12-2017, 11:09 AM
  2. Replies: 37
    Last Post: 05-24-2014, 08:12 PM
  3. New Sea doo RXT 260
    By drlib in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-24-2011, 03:46 PM
  4. So I tested a Stock SHO vs a Sea Doo IS 260...
    By SlowStang305 in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 07-20-2011, 11:27 PM
  5. Sea Doo RXT-X breakin and updates
    By hancop in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2009, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •