2002 Polaris Virage I miss at 6000 rpm??!??!?

Hello to everyone! Let me first say to everyone that I am new to Greenhulk so again, Hello everyone! But, secondly, I am not new to Jet Skis , but I am having an issue with one of my machines that is currently got me scratching my head...pretty good too...

Well I have a 2002 Polaris Virage i that I picked up for super cheap with a no start symptom, well the previous owner replaced the EMM and injectors thinking it was the problem and nothing, so I have a brand new EMM, well I looked through it for about 5 min and found the problem (well I actually did in the guys driveway but didn't say anything ) but the no start issue was due to the plug wires being backwards....

haaahaahaa, so anyways I went through the ski after fixing that minor issue, I ended up putting a new stator and flywheel in it since the magnets were coming loose on the old one, put some fresh plugs in it, new battery, and bilge pump and took it for a spin, ski ran good except for a 1/4 to 1/2 throttle surging symptom, put a new TPS in and that fixed that issue, sled was running perfect as it should.

Well after about 5 hours of running great the machine out of no where has started to miss at 5900-6100 RPM but only when at full throttle, back the throttle off just a tad and it goes away, the miss is a steady consistent miss almost as if the machine is hitting a rev limiter, I know these have a rev limiter the hits at 7200RPM or 3500RPM when in reverse but this is happening earlier than that...

I can not for the life of me figure this issue out, I started with another set of plugs and nothing, checked the CPS and is right under the 200 ohm at rest spec, ohmed out the coils and those are in spec, crank index is right, EMM capacitor voltage drop is correct, compression is 150 in both cylinders... don't know where to turn next, I know the ignition is controlled by the EMM, did this one fry? Or is might this be a fuel issue?

Also I will note that this miss, when occurring, if you keep the throttle fully applied and go over a wave for example and the jet pump is able to cavitate the engine will come out of this miss symptom until the throttle is released and applied again... hmmmmm Please help!!
    Last edited by K447; 05-22-2014 at 06:37 PM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

New TPS? Was it actually brand new, or old stock?

Check the TPS connector pins. Each pin contact must be snug and clean metal to metal. No dielectric grease on the actual pins, just a thin coating on the sealing gasket.

Is the TPS spring installed correctly?

Throttle cable slack? Must be just a tiny amount of slack at idle position so the throttle plates close completely. At full throttle squeeze make sure the throttle shaft is 100% rotated.

There is a transition in the Ficht combustion mode right around 5500RPM, as I recall. I have noted the various Ficht RPM thresholds somewhere around here

What spark plugs are installed? NGK PZFR6H, correct?

Check ignition wires and coils for correct ohms. Flex the ignition cables, resistance should not vary.

Also clean and check ground point for the coils and the EMM wire harness. I have posted an alternate arrangement for grounding the ignition coils with the stock fiber washer.

TPS is brand new, updated over molded design, spring installed correctly. Throttle cable adjusted correctly, opens 100% closes 100%.
    Correct NGK PZFR6H plugs. I have omed out the coils with the specs in the my Polaris service manual for the machine, look to be within specs. I have not checked the plug wires however, what should the spec be on these? I don't remember seeing a spec in the service manual for those. Do you have a link for the alternate grounding points? I have not heard of the thresholds for the combustion mode? Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1

I will check the grounds and recheck the coils and wires and get back with an update as soon as I can make it to the garage! Do you suspect this could be an EMM issue? I am hoping it is not, (as everyone with Ficht systems does I sure..) seeing the EMM and injectors are new and only have about 15hrs on them... Thanks again!

Banned User
    +1
    gb
    Last edited by FichtEMMRepair.com; 01-12-2015 at 10:57 PM.

Thread Information