+1

Is my 12F muffler broken ?

When I put a hose on either of the brass nipples on the main/primary muffler/waterbox (Part number 49070-3744), the water simply fills the muffler, and does not come out the other brass nipple. Is this correct ?

I note it is very difficult to get the water out of the muffler once in there, due to the baffles inside it.

I thought it was normal for water and exhaust gases to come out the back of the ski. If this is so, then the water must travel on a long and strange path to get to the exit.

+1
    the water mixes with the gases and exits with the gases through the main outlet. the nipples are water inlets only!!

+1
    Never run water to anything but a flush line! The nipples are from the motor and the pump. If you run a hose to the waterbox with the motor off, then it will fill into the motor. The exhaust pushes the water out of the muffler system. And running fresh water through the WB only doesn't help much in the way of Preventive Maintenance.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by russell View Post
    Never run water to anything but a flush line! The nipples are from the motor and the pump. If you run a hose to the waterbox with the motor off, then it will fill into the motor. The exhaust pushes the water out of the muffler system. And running fresh water through the WB only doesn't help much in the way of Preventive Maintenance.
    I only ran water through the nipples of the muffler with the waterbox removed from the ski, for testing purposes.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    the water mixes with the gases and exits with the gases through the main outlet. the nipples are water inlets only!!
    OK. If that is the way it works, wouldn't a quantity of salt water always be at the bottom of the two mufflers in the ski, when it is not in service - causing rust & corrosion there ?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    OK. If that is the way it works, wouldn't a quantity of salt water always be at the bottom of the two mufflers in the ski, when it is not in service - causing rust & corrosion there ?

Thats why you should always flush with fresh water and try to blow the water boxes as dry as possible.
    Aluminium doesn't rust.......

Thread Information