97 slt 700 plugs

what type of plugs should I get for this ski? I am completely new to this and know nothing about them. when I was checking the plugs one of them had some slight rust on it. is this something I should be worried about?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Start by clicking on my signature links. That should get you started in the right direction.

this does not answer my question. =(

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by amoede View Post
    this does not answer my question. =(
    Fresh spark plugs are always a good idea.

NGK BPR7ES spark plug is the service manual specification for 1997 SLT 700 engine, gapp .024 - .028.
    Genuine NGK spark plugs preferred on these engines.

Rust on which end of the spark plug?

Rust on the combustion end could be a sign of moisture and possible rust elsewhere inside the engine.

The key with these older watercraft is to fully inspect them from end to end, top to bottom. Do the recommended maintenance and repair, upgrade and replace all the things which need to be brought up to snuff.

There is a lot of useful info already posted and somewhat curated. Hence my pointing towards the linked info.

thanks for the info. I was lost in all those links and couldn't find anything I was looking for. and yes, rust on the burning end of the plug. should I put a dab of oil down the cylinder? the ski starts right up and sounds good. haven't gotten it in the water yet. that's happening tomorrow. also there is a bunch of oil in the bottom of the hull. like an inch deep. the oil tank it completely full so I k now that's not leaking and the lines all look good/new. im thinking its just spilled oil since its a 2 stroke its not like its coming from the bottom end or something. does this model have a drain plug on it or only the bilge? I wish I could find an owners manual somewhere but I have had no luck.

+1
    Do not be in a huge hurry to 'water test' it. Check all the stuff you can beforehand.

For example, it is worthwhile to check the jet pump bearings and impeller/driveshaft splines. A failing/rusty jet pump bearing can destroy itself in seconds at speed.

The fuel system and especially the carburetor(s) are critical on these machines. A dirty (internally) carb or clogged fuel filter can run the engine lean and melt a hole through a piston in minutes.

Mop up the oil and clean the hull. Much easier to do work and see potential problems when the hull is clean inside.

Do the basic checks of engine health. Cylinder compression, for example.

is there somewhere where I can get a parts diagram or something for it? I have no idea where those bearings are lol where is the fuel filter located? is this different than the water separator? my neighbor is a snowmobile/boat mechanic. gave them a quick look over and said the jet pumps and impellor look good. he pointed out the separator and told me to make sure I empty it. do I just unscrew it and dump it out? what purpose does this part serve?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by amoede View Post
    is there somewhere where I can get a parts diagram or something for it? I have no idea where those bearings are lol where is the fuel filter located? is this different than the water separator?

my neighbor is a snowmobile/boat mechanic. gave them a quick look over and said the jet pumps and impeller look good. he pointed out the separator and told me to make sure I empty it. do I just unscrew it and dump it out? what purpose does this part serve?
    Slow down and read through the posted resources. That is what they are there for.

Polaris Industries maintains a complete set of PWC parts diagrams and part number cross reference.

The fuel/water separator is there to catch small amounts of water that may get into the fuel tank. Normally there should be zero water in the fuel tank and zero water in the separator. If there is a red ring inside, it floats on water and sinks in gasoline. So the red ring should be on the bottom. Without the ring, just look for a layer of water underneath the gasoline. Normally there should be none.

Some versions of the separator also have a metal mesh fuel filter inside. This of course is to prevent dirt from getting into the carburetors.

Thread Information