Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

oil on plug / burning after AMSOIL change...

Sorry if this is a repeated topic, but through my searches I have not been able to find any updated information since 2006...

I have an 09 RXPX which I have never had any problems with oil consumption or smoking. I recently did a supercharger rebuild which consisted of a larger sc (137+4),and added mods such as, injectors, rrfpr, gen 3 cooler, ect... While doing these upgrades I performed an oil change using AMSOIL 10-40 marine/powersport synthetic oil. I took the ski out for a ride and towards the end of the day the ski began to smoke (burnt oil). I did not have a loss in power, nor did I lose oil according to my dipstick. I went home and started my ski on the trailer, and the ski got worse - filling my entire driveway with smoke and the smell of burnt oil. I pulled all the plugs, 1 & 2 looked perfect, 3 had a coating of oil on it. (My compression tester fitting needed to check the 4 tech engine is missing, so I have not been able to do a compression test yet...) Before I get ideas of the worst, ie: valve stem seals, bad rings, ect... has anyone had this problem regarding the use of synthetic oil in our skis? Previous posts (which again dated back to 05/06) stated NOT to use synthetic oil in the RXP's. Later it was stated that ski's 06 and newer you could run synthetic without any issues. Any updated information on this? Thanks
    Last edited by My09RXPX; 05-29-2014 at 07:08 AM. Reason: added information

+1
    I have run Mobil 1 10W 40 synthetic for over 100 hrs on my 04, never an issue.
    I think synthetic was blamed for the clutch failures before good clutch washers came out. Never was an oil issue.

Now your smoking, hard to say, you did mods as well as the oil change. But, is your coolant level ok (if your still closed cooling?)
    Could have blown the head gasket with the increased boost levels, and your sucking oil into the cylinder.
    Could also be a bad supercharger seal, pull of the Throttle body hose and look for oil in the intake.

Update; compression test, cylinder 1: 125 cylinder 2: 122 cylinder 3: 120

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by My09RXPX View Post
    Update; compression test, cylinder 1: 125 cylinder 2: 122 cylinder 3: 120
    You have a borescope?

+1
    I have been using the same Amsoil WCF oil in my skis since 2005, Triton bass boat since 2006, and my vehicles for over 18 years with nothing but great results.

You mentioned a rebuild, so you have got something else going on. Check the easy stuff first like the oil filter cap and o rings, maybe an O- ring got pinched and you are spilling oil out. Fill cap secure, dip stick, oil cooler lines, etc....... After that, the internals like rings and valves, head gasket need inspection.

good luck!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    I have been using the same Amsoil WCF oil in my skis since 2005, Triton bass boat since 2006, and my vehicles for over 18 years with nothing but great results.
    +1 no issues with Amsoil. All my vehicles, bikes & skis use it. 140hrs with no issues on my TX

few areas to check
    the little oring or the seal behind the SC wheel.
    the flat washer on the cam gear for the oring on the case breather

Sorry for the delay, I have been busy at work and did not have time to check out the issues on the ski. As I stated above, the compression was fine (125,122,120) I have to give credit to jpt7779, who suggested checking the easy things first. I always think the worst (due to my past luck). I started checking oil lines, dip stick ect... once I removed the oil cap I noticed a problem. The smaller of the two o-rings was torn in half. I bought two fresh o-rings, installed them, hooked the ski up to the hose and the smoking went away! Why this would cause the ski to burn oil truly beats be, but for a $17.00 fix (yes... two little o-rings cost me 17 bucks from the dealer!) I cant really complain. Thanks for the help everyone.

+1
    U didn't break in the fresh rebuilt engine with synthetic oil did u?

This can cause the rings not to seat / run in properly. I always break in a rebuild with valvoline motorcycle oil, then after a few tanks, change it out for synthetic oil.

Did u replace the valve seals while it was apart?
    How did the oil pumps look? any scoring? were they repalced?

If the oil was over full it would cause it to come out of the tops breather, and burn it.(if hooked to your intake tract)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by psycho rxp View Post
    U didn't break in the fresh rebuilt engine with synthetic oil did u?

This can cause the rings not to seat / run in properly. I always break in a rebuild with valvoline motorcycle oil, then after a few tanks, change it out for synthetic oil.

Did u replace the valve seals while it was apart?
    How did the oil pumps look? any scoring? were they repalced?

If the oil was over full it would cause it to come out of the tops breather, and burn it.(if hooked to your intake tract)
    I was wondering the same thing about the rebuild, but it sounds like he didn't do a "rebuild" just mods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information