Exclamation '99 Seadoo XP Limited issues

I have acquired a '99 Seadoo XP limited, its been sitting for a few years but looks relatively clean. First i drained all of the old gas from the tank, put in a new battery and T'ed in a connection to the water line. First time i plugged in the DESS it beeped twice, after reading the beep codes chart i see thats a good thing, so i cranked it and no start.

Engine spins so i know its not locked up, i pulled the plugs and cranked to see spark and they have strong spark. Only thing missing from the equation is fuel. Plugged the DESS back in and no beeps, thought that was odd but proceeded on anyway. Then i dribbled a little bit of premix in to each cylinder and screw the plugs back in then gave it a crank. Engine fired up and ran for a bit (until the fuel added to the cylinders was burned up) then died.

Anyone have ideas of why its not getting fuel?

Thanks in advance for any help.[-o

+1
    Carb issues. They must be taken off and gone through completely. Check the diaphragms and the filters. I suspect they will be in bad shape and plugged.

+1
    +1 the carbs don't like sitting and clog up real easy - strip them down and ultrasound them and then put back together with a new "diaphragm and bits" kit

Also...If the fuel lines are gray...you must replace all of them.

Well fellas it looks like the major issue has been located. While replacing the fuel lines i worked my way to the selectors and found it in this condition. All of the connections looked like this as well as all of the lines were clogged solid 3 inches back. The clog was so dense i had to drill out the gunk from the selector then soak in mineral spirits. Bad stuff.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    That will do it glad it was an easy fix

Quote Originally Posted by Water View Post
    Well fellas it looks like the major issue has been located. While replacing the fuel lines i worked my way to the selectors and found it in this condition. All of the connections looked like this as well as all of the lines were clogged solid 3 inches back. The clog was so dense i had to drill out the gunk from the selector then soak in mineral spirits. Bad stuff.

Go all the way into the tank when you replace the lines,you can leave the fuel selector off,it's just one less thing to go bad down the road,that one needs to go in the trash,how important is it,I fill my ski up before i go out & never run all the gas out.one more thing ,once you get everything worked out,the carb have a accell pump on it,when the ski hasn't been started for awhile,all you have to do is spin it over alittle,stop, pump the throttle four times,try to start,if it doesn't start, stop, pump itagain.it will start.the eccell pump squirts gas into the motor when you pump it,you just need to spin it over a little to get some gas to the carbs.My skis doesn't even have the choke on it & its all i do when i haven't used it for a month or so.

Holy crap that is the worst inner fuel line/connection I have ever seen online.

Awesome that you will have it up and going again!

Mine was almost that bad, I ditched the selector as well and never had an issue.

+1
    Holy mary mother of god I've been working on seadoos with old lines and bad carbs for awhile now and I've seen plenty of green gunk but nothing near that bad thats crazy. Good luck!

Thread Information