Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Troubleshooting Question about my First Jet Ski (2010 Yamaha Waverunner Sport VX)

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad to see there's such an active community for Jetskiers here. I just purchased my first Jetski which was a used 2010 Waverunner Sport VX. I took it out on the water for the first time today and encountered an issue I'm hoping the experts in this forum can assist with.

When I first turned on the engine the warning sensor started beeping indicating that the fuel level was low. This beeping continued with the fuel indicator showing two remaining bars. Prior to putting the Jetski in the water, I had filled up the tank. I did a test and drove the Jetski around for about 40 min to see if the fuel level indicator would change and it did not. In my non-expertise opinion, the craft still ran great despite the beeping. A friend suggested that I unscrew the fuel cap and retighten it. Doing this actually made the beeping go away for a good 30 minutes although the digital read out remained the same. At the end, the beeping came back and attempts to rescrew the fuel cap didn't seem to work anymore.

When I got back, I found out I made the mistake of filling the tank with 85 octane when the minimum requirement is 86+ (major brain fart). Can anyone offer some insight as to whether this is the likely cause of the continual beeping sound and faulty fuel read out? Also, what kind of impact would be had by using 85 octane instead of 86+ and can anyone offer some recommended next steps? Obviously, I want to get this diagnosed before taking the Jetski back on the water.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice,

DH333

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    85 octane? Where are you located? No, the octane has nothing to do with fuel level and warning light....something is wrong with the fuel level arm probably....how many horurs?

Quote Originally Posted by Aquaholic6801 View Post
    85 octane? Where are you located? No, the octane has nothing to do with fuel level and warning light....something is wrong with the fuel level arm probably....how many horurs?
    Hi Aquaholic6801,

Thanks for the reply. I'm located in Montana. Honestly, I'm not sure as to how exactly how many hours have been logged on the craft (it's being stored elsewhere but I'll check when I see it next). As far as putting in 85 gas instead of 86+ will that cause any serious issues with the engine?

All the best,

DH333

+1
    Maybe is was E85? 85% Ethanol

Quote Originally Posted by dh333 View Post
    Hi Aquaholic6801,

Thanks for the reply. I'm located in Montana. Honestly, I'm not sure as to how exactly how many hours have been logged on the craft (it's being stored elsewhere but I'll check when I see it next). As far as putting in 85 gas instead of 86+ will that cause any serious issues with the engine?

All the best,

DH333

I actually double checked and it's standard 85 with 10% ethanol that I mistakenly put into the craft. As I mentioned, the minimum requirement is 86 octane. Do you have any thoughts on what else could be causing the Fuel warning to continually go off? I also forgot to mention that when the previous owner did a test run in front of me (on land), there was no beeping. After purchasing the vehicle, I filled it up with gas and then the beeping immediately started the first time I took it into the water.

Thanks again for any help provided,

DH333

Quote Originally Posted by WP3223 View Post
    Maybe is was E85? 85% Ethanol

Hi Aquaholic6801,

All the best,

DH333

+1
    most likely a bad fuel arm sensor, might have some debri that is making stuck at a certain level. But you should start by there. Also try to get your self a service manual for that ski.

+1
    Again 85 octane? I didnt know any where in the US had anything less than 87 octane fuel.... VX's need 87 octane...The reason I ask about the hours is to find out if it has sat alot in its life time.....Also the same beeper is a warning for other things....

Quote Originally Posted by yamacruiser View Post
    most likely a bad fuel arm sensor, might have some debri that is making stuck at a certain level. But you should start by there. Also try to get your self a service manual for that ski.
    Thanks for the information and tips. It's much appreciated.

+1
    Hi Aquaholic6801,

All the best,

DH333
    Don't worry too much about one tank of 85 octane. Out west (specifically at higher altitudes) the air is thinner and gas combusts differently than at sea level. Because of this, gas companies compensate by lowering the minimum octane so cars (or pwc's) built to run on regular gasoline run the same at higher altitudes on 85 as they would at lower altitudes on 87.

Also, all modern pwc's have knock sensors and the computer adjusts accordingly.

Long story short. I always put 87 in mine, but a tank or two of 85 isn't going to hurt anything. Next time you fill up, use 87 and you'll be fine.

Also, at higher altitudes your pwc won't run as fast as at lower altitudes. Sucks, but that's life.

Enjoy!!

Mike

+1
    VXs/r does not have a knock sensor....

Do they really sell 85 octane ? I have never seen it in the eastern side of the USA...

Effects of Detonation doesnt always show up right away...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information