D plate and other fixes????? Help newbie

I just purchased 2004 xlt 800 68 hours runs great. Just added new gas new plugs, it is very clean. I am looking for maintenance tips and explanations. Is it if it is not broken do not fix? Also speedo not working but rest of the features are, is that speed sensor? Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by relaxstation View Post
    I just purchased 2004 xlt 800 68 hours runs great. Just added new gas new plugs, it is very clean. I am looking for maintenance tips and explanations. Is it if it is not broken do not fix? Also speedo not working but rest of the features are, is that speed sensor? Thanks
    If you plan on keeping the ski and working on it yourself, get a shop manual. I would at least inspect, tighten, replace, clamps, screws, hoses and lubricate the appropriate cables. It is a 10 year old jet ski, so you'll want to monitor closely how it runs as rubber seals may start to get brittle. If it's carbureted, which I'm not sure if that year is or not, I would consider having the carbs rebuilt properly. Depending upon what mods you do, it will affect the carb jetting. Consider adding stabil or some other gas treatment regularly to the gas.

Without messing with the internals of the engine, an aftermarket intake grate and ride plate are good first mods and make the ski a bit safer to ride under certain circumstances. check the search function, there are several good write up on mods to xlts, gpr's, and the like. good luck michael

Thread Information