Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

+1

Am I getting dealer nonsense or good advice?

I just went to the dealer with my Mom and wife. They are sold out of Sparks and doing the usual "But this Yamaha VX Sport is near the same price and better if you ask me." I've never owned a Jet Ski so I can't tell if this is just dealer BS trying to get a sale done now. He says the wear rings on Sea-Doos go out often and they cost around $500-$1000 to replace. He says he can sell me a GTS 130 or a Yamaha VX Sport but says the Yamaha's don't have a wear ring and that equates to lower maintenance costs.

Is any of this true? Ive seen posts here about the Spark having wear ring issues if stuff gets caught up in there. The reason I ask all of this in the Spark forum is I've found one for sale but its about 200 miles away and its Bubblegum (unfortunately). It looks like my parents are now just going to buy it for a family purchase but its mainly for us. I can't argue too much and they seem to have done a good job of steering their opinion away from Sea Doo. If someone who's had experience with both can weigh in I'd like the unbiased, non-sales person opinion.

If you are looking for an unbiased opinion from a dealer don't go to the dealer who doesn't have a spark to sell. Their job is to sell you something and if they don't have one available expect that they are going to try and sell something else. As for me the only ski I was interested in was the spark. What they are telling you about the ware ring is an out and out lie.
    . It cost about 70 bucks.it light of that I would not buy anything from that dealer, Yamaha Sea Doo or soap.

+1
    I went into the dealer looking to buy a Yamaha. More money for the dealer. And walked out with a deposit on a spark. Glad I wemt with it. Top speed is less than a Yamaha but on fun factor spark wins hands down.
    Yamaha has a little more speed, and more storage. Thats probably it. Spark is half the weight, half the gas usage hence the smaller tank and twice the fun.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by cxk View Post
    I just went to the dealer with my Mom and wife. They are sold out of Sparks and doing the usual "But this Yamaha VX Sport is near the same price and better if you ask me." I've never owned a Jet Ski so I can't tell if this is just dealer BS trying to get a sale done now. He says the wear rings on Sea-Doos go out often and they cost around $500-$1000 to replace. He says he can sell me a GTS 130 or a Yamaha VX Sport but says the Yamaha's don't have a wear ring and that equates to lower maintenance costs.

Is any of this true? Ive seen posts here about the Spark having wear ring issues if stuff gets caught up in there. The reason I ask all of this in the Spark forum is I've found one for sale but its about 200 miles away and its Bubblegum (unfortunately). It looks like my parents are now just going to buy it for a family purchase but its mainly for us. I can't argue too much and they seem to have done a good job of steering their opinion away from Sea Doo. If someone who's had experience with both can weigh in I'd like the unbiased, non-sales person opinion.
    It's not true. You could ride a Sea Doo for years and never have to replace a wear ring. The Spark has had it's fair share of issues which is to be expected for a new ski. Any ski can potentially have wear ring "issues" if you suck something up. The dealer is trying to sell a ski and since they have no Sparks left, they are trying to sell the next cheapest option (which is understandable).

With that said, you're asking for an unbiased opinion in a Sea Doo Spark forum. I'm sure you can see where I'm going with that. As for "what's better" it is truly personal preference. If someone tells you anything other than that, they're lying. A Spark vs. GTI 130/VX depends on what you want to do with the ski, where you're going to ride the ski, and what you want to get out of the ski. The best thing to do would be to figure out what is right for you (and your family) and make a decision from there.

Example: You don't live on the water. You want to go out on the lake with your wife but it costs $20 to launch so you'd like to make a day of it. You'd like to bring a couple sandwiches, a bag of chips, and a water for each of you. You'd like to bring a 6 pack of beer to split and maybe a towel or two so you can dry off after swimming or stop on an island somewhere. Good luck fitting all of that into the front storage on the Spark because it's probably not going to happen. Not to mention your tow ropes and whatever other safety equipment you might want to have on you.

Purchasing skis really aren't as simple as "oh, this one is good because ________" and buying it...

Quote Originally Posted by JayDog View Post
    I went into the dealer looking to buy a Yamaha. More money for the dealer. And walked out with a deposit on a spark. Glad I wemt with it. Top speed is less than a Yamaha but on fun factor spark wins hands down.
    Yamaha has a little more speed, and more storage. Thats probably it. Spark is half the weight, half the gas usage hence the smaller tank and twice the fun.
    "Fun factor" is personal preference.

5. +1 by:

+1
    Thanks. I just talked to another dealer who only carries Sea Doo, no sparks of course, he says both are great brands. Since we were looking for a Spark he said the owner would agree to take $1000 off a GTS or GTI but didn't give me an OTD price. We'll see how that goes. I'd still be more than pleased with a Spark but my dad's a big guy and I know him and my mom couldn't ride together. If it's up to me I'll pick a Sea Doo. I can't be too picky, they said they'll just pay for the whole thing if the price is right. I figure I could always pick up a Spark next year and buy a double trailer.

Another thing the original Dealer said that I found weird. He said the closed loop cooling is a down side to the Sea Doo and you'd be better off with the one that sucks up the lake/ocean water. I always thought of the Closed system to be better so you're NOT sucking up nasty lake or salt water. He says if the closed loop system fails it the ski is done, which is likely true like a radiator but he acted like it would be catastrophic. Do jet skis not have an automatic shut off if they over heat?

+1
    yes.....

+1
    I did 312 hours (4 years) with the same wear ring on my Sea-Doo before I sold it and it was still good.

+1
    Whatever you decide- I would go GTS or GTI IF you parents are paying and they will be riding together BUT if they are pretty much JUST buying it for you Get the Spark.
    Now I have Never paid Freight or Prep on 14 Sea Doo,s from 2 different dealerships and if you do you are giving them $$$$$?
    You Should get $1,000 OFF and pay ONLY List Price , Tax, and Registration on a GTI, GTS.
    If they add on $599 Freight, $399 Prep, and a $200 conveyance I would RUN.

I got my Spark for $5,899 List Price (Conv. Package) and Tax and it cost me $7.50 to register it myself because they have to give you a Bill of Sale and Title and you can fill out the registration form online in most states!!!

+1
    $500 to $1000 for a wear ring?! F that dealer right in his lying face! Whatever jacks up a wear ring on a Seadoo will jack one up and any other brand of ski...even a Yamaha because they have wear rings too...for $35...and even if you had a shop replace it for you it should only be about 1 hour of labor.

I too am in a similar position...wanted 2 60 HP Sparks and nobody has them and have been side stepping all the dealers voodoo in the meantime and now I'm waiting until next year to get what I set out to get in the first place. You went in there wanting a Spark...don't let that "want" be used against you. Wait for a Spark. You will thank yourself...and when Sparks are back in stock...do not go to this lying POS dealer.

Don't know your fathers age , but assuming he is not a kid and big is 250 + , it may not be a great choice. I weigh 215
    and have a lifetime of motor cycle road and dirt experience and riding 2 people on a 3 up is tolerable but not optimal.
    barely enough freeboard and a little unstable. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing but it's not for everyone.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information