+1

Battery charging issues

Pto came off because I needed to get to the stator to verify all is good. Years ago after my non ceramic washers blew I took it all apart to clean and what not. I haven't ridden much since but times I have I had major battery issues. I'm on a new battery as of last season and it only lasts about an hour on water. Tested everything back at home and determined it was not being charged. As a revision to this thread: http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=204380 I'm now looking at my magneto and am seeing an apparently clean one with no debris of any kind on it. So the question is, does any one know how to test one of these to see if it's functioning properly while I have it out? Voltage regulator has been proven to be working as I got the same results when it was swapped out from a donor vr. All ground connections have been cleaned. Only thing left is this magneto? Help
    Last edited by mbaseball3; 05-24-2014 at 06:55 PM. Reason: change of topic

+1
    Any ideas at all?

check continuity betwen the 3 yelow wires and the stator ground....if you have continuity change the stator

+1
    what year ski? I have a couple magneto's in pto's sitting around.

+1
    It's an 07 rxp. 46 hours. Just checked readings from stator plug. Readings I was getting were from 0 - .31 volts. Nothing consistent.

+1
    Strangest thing happened. All of a sudden, after tearing off PTO and visually inspecting it then finishing putting it all back together this weekend, making sure I'm starting with a fully charged battery; it's all working again. Not a clue of why or anything like that but I'm getting 14.31 volts on battery at 3500 rpms. I watched it go from 13 something when I started it then creep up to that final voltage. I'll keep starting and testing to make sure it's not a fluke and get stranded out on the water. But as far as I see it, it's time to play woot woot!!! Thanks for the help guys. I'll post back if anything changes.

Nothin' better than Doo'in it! BigDaddyRXP's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
    It's an 07 rxp. 46 hours. Just checked readings from stator plug. Readings I was getting were from 0 - .31 volts. Nothing consistent.
    You can only do a voltage check of the stator with the engine running. Two other test are required prior to that one.

Your plug near where the wires exit the PTO cover probably has a bad-corroded connections. A stator won't just repair it self by pulling the PTO cover.... then putting it back on.

8. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by mbaseball3 View Post
    Are you checking DC ? Your multimeter should be on AC if your testing the stator and each yellow wire should read about 25V AC.

10. +1 by:

Thread Information