Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cool RXT Handling : When to keep OPAS?

Hey Everyone,

currently in the process of piecing my rxt together and in a bit of a crossroads. I have a Riva waterbox/Thru Hull ready to go but not sure whether to keep OPAS or not. The ski will be ridden by experienced as well as beginner patrons, when is it better to keep opas? Ill be primarily using the ski in freshwater with the occasional ocean ride, i'll probably be fishing off the thing too is it better to keep OPAS or block them off? I'm not really shooting for top MPH, just a reliable and safe ride ( as safe as the rider is willing). If i do block them off, the Jfizzle kit looks like a cost effective solution.

The motor is out of the ski now so i'm not sure if i'll be able to put the waterbox in without the motor in ( to fit/align all the exhaust bits). Is it possible with the motor out or should i wait until the motor is in? I'm a bit reluctant to do the install and not have everything line up once the motor gets put back, especially if I keep OPAS and drill the thru hull higher.

Hope you guys can help, Thanks!

+1
    do it whilst motor is out..
    keep it on if beginers are riding it.
    my kids ride my rxp.
    the opas makes it quite skittish after 70mph,
    i had to take mine off as we went past warp factor speed.. if u r not chasing top speed, leave them on.

Thanks turbo,

I'd like to keep it as well, I most likely won't be going over 70... maybe in the future with an et127 upgrade but I'll worry about opas when the time comes. A little worried about the placement of the thruhull without the motor in but i'll give it a shot.

+1
    silicon joiners have some flex im them, when i had a waterbox, i cut pipe shorter and used a angle silicon joiner on waterbox exit so it could be taken and installed easier

+1
    My buddy removed his OPAS on 07 RXT, no gain in speed, only difference is just more sluggish to turn at lower RPM. As previously said, if you are not chasing top speed I would keep them. This is just my opinion

+1
    i kept mine on all the way past 85mph.. i was reluctant to remove them.
    but at speed, even with them locked up. it was a bit scary.

i quite like them. but its my personal preference

sweet thanks! Looks like i'll be keeping them, only problem is the waterbox for an 05 rxt has the thru-hull attached. Most of the other thru hull installs i've seen on the forum (keeping opas) had the waterbox separate.

http://www.4-tecperformance.com/inde...roducts_id=987

I'm hoping I wont run into issues fitting in the motor and J-pipe after the exhaust hole is cut. Worse comes to worse I'll probably have to hack the thru hull and add another silicone section. I'll need to cut the hole up higher to clear the opas, i remember seeing someone with a template on here for keeping opas and a thru hull but i cant find it for the life of me

RXT Handling : When to keep OPAS?
    <72mph....above that...they start to porpoise.

Hmm, having A hard time seeing how this is going to work. The waterbox has the hard exhaust pipe on it and there's barely any clearance in there. Any ideas?

plus with the motor out of the ski, it'll be hard for me to rig something up and hope everything will bolt up right. Nuts!

+1
    cut the pipe going out tge waterbox, flare both ends,get a good quality silicon hose joiner and stainless clamps.

maybe post a pic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information