Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

12F in Limp Mode - Help !

This is a great forum with heaps of good info. Thanks to Smokie and all the regular contributors.

After 15 minutes (when ski warms up) on the water, ski goes into limp mode - but no audible alarm and no dash warning lights. Ski has a fair quantity of mildly warm water in the engine bay after a 15min ride. Temp seems normal on the hose.

Recently replaced exhaust pipe, rubber coupling, 2 exhaust rings and repaired exhaust manifold & waterbox/main muffler. Cooling pipe under inlet manifold replaced 2 years ago and looks OK. All hoses look OK and tight with no visible leaks anywhere in the engine bay. I have flushed the intake filter above the jet-pump - no debris.

Both mufflers feel warm/hot after 15min ride - Is this normal? Exhaust system is cold when on the hose. Great flows of water from pisser and stern outlet, but limited hot water coming from exhaust.

Could this be a temp sensor issue ? Note : Ski starts easily when hot.

When on the boat ramp, I noticed warm water leaking under ski from the front of the intake grate, coming from the engine compartment. Is this normal ? Maybe a hull leak ?

+1
    Are you saying that when you pull the ski out of the water (engine compartment has water in it), that the water then leaks back out of the hull? If so, you've probably split the thru hull bearing carrier (bearing that driveshaft goes through hull).
    Sit it on the trailer, back down the boat ramp. Start with seat off (still on trailer) and look for water entering the hull.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Are you saying that when you pull the ski out of the water (engine compartment has water in it), that the water then leaks back out of the hull?
    Yes....That is what it looks like to me.

Pain is fear leaving your body.... rlovebk's Avatar
    +1
    EDIT*** I just noticed guy above gave same advice I just typed...lol What GZA said ^^^

+1
    I had the same issue after I had a pump failure. I got the pump all back together and the test ride I noticed all the water in the hull, luckily I had a separate bilge pump installed..

If the ski didn't have an engine it would be a 5 minute fix..LOL. Unfortunately we have an engine, and it needs to be removed to do this job. Good luck..

+1
    Thanks for the comments regarding the water leak. I guess my main concern is "Why is the ski going into limp home mode when it warms up" and how do I fix this. If the engine has no overheat warning alarm or dash warning lights going on, and is pumping heaps of water, could this be a "false alarm" or faulty temp sender - maybe I just need to disable the limp mode - but how ? .....or should I do other testing to confirm the engine is truely not overheating ?

I am still a little puzzled why the water in the engine compartment would be mildly warm - rather than stone cold, if the water was entering the ski from the cold ocean into the engine compartment via a leaky driveshaft bearing. Wouldn't warm water indicate a cooling system leak ?

With these two problems the ski could literally sink limping home to the boat ramp ! If it wasn't so serious it could be funny !
    Last edited by Beancounter; 05-27-2014 at 02:45 AM.

When you say limp home mode, what's the maximum ski speed and/or engine rpm?

+1
    My water was super warm too. It's because the hull fills up quite a bit and the water is in constant contact with the Exhaust, waterbox and engine block..

The limp mode issue is something you have to fix for sure, but you may as well get the water leak fixed first. While you are putting it back together make sure there isn't any corrosion on the various connectors, as mine did and it caused all sorts of errors to pop up. Also, read this thread.. http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=186939

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangreenman View Post
    When you say limp home mode, what's the maximum ski speed and/or engine rpm?
    It only does max. 10knots/mph in limp mode after 15 minutes on the water. First 15 minutes everything is normal & ski runs fast.

If possible, try "test" riding with the seat removed on calm water.
    Two things to watch.
    1. See if the ski would perform any better.
    2. See if any water/smoke/steam or anything unusal is going on inside the engine compartment while riding.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information