Thread: Marine Growth

Marine Growth

I have a ski that is left in a fresh water lake all summer (not my ski) and we are getting it ready for this season. There is a light brown growth on the pump and ride plate. A pressure washer takes of the majority of it and when washed it looks like new. When it dries it looks like its still there, but just not as bad. When you rub it it come off with your fingers , but not all of it. Any idea how to remove it and any idea hoe to prevent it for a ski that sits in the water?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Use a marine gel coat cleaning product. We use a hull cleaner with rubbing compound first. Work it into the surface and work an area at a time until it is all clean. That should take off whatever is stuck to the surface and after rinsing and wipe down it should look quite clean.

Follow up with a marine grade polymer 'wax' to protect the hull and make it harder for the marine growth to stick to the surface. Look for a product with staying power since you want it to survive underwater for as long as possible.

You will still have some marine growth but not as much.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Use a marine gel coat cleaning product. We use a hull cleaner with rubbing compound first. Work it into the surface and work an area at a time until it is all clean. That should take off whatever is stuck to the surface and after rinsing and wipe down it should look quite clean.

Follow up with a marine grade polymer 'wax' to protect the hull and make it harder for the marine growth to stick to the surface. Look for a product with staying power since you want it to survive underwater for as long as possible.

You will still have some marine growth but not as much.
    Thanks for the advice. the growth is on the intake grate and ride plate not the hull. Would hull cleaner still take it off? On a side note I see you're from Toronto. I have been to Toronto and was lucky enough to visit the worst strip club in the world... Can you guess it?

Thread Information