Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

2013 FZR hot engine issues?

Hey guys, I've got a 2013 FZR with a Motec ECM, stock SC, custom IC etc. The first few times out this year times out this year it ran fine. Hottest engine got was 190 on Motec log. Then I had a hot engine alarm. Checked log and engine got to 212 deg which is when the ECM activates the alarm. Rode the rest of the day without issue. Installed RD dual thermo kit to try and help issue. No good. Won't over heat until 15 minuets of riding or so. I've always had plenty of water coming out of the pissers. So I took the RD kit off and installed RD cooling kit that's what was recommended by Glen at RD. Tool ski out today and same issue. Overheat after 15 mins or so. Plenty of water coming out all pissers. It will overheat even when just cruising at like 6K or so. To make sure plenty of water was coming out of thermostat hose I took it off at the outlet and hung the hose overboard to watch it. Water pouring out like a garden hose! So there's lots of water flowing through engine. So what do you guys think? Bad ECT? Settings in Motec? I'm out of ideas. If anyone needs more specific info please just ask! Thanks!!

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Nick View Post
    Hey guys, I've got a 2013 FZR with a Motec ECM, stock SC, custom IC etc. The first few times out this year times out this year it ran fine. Hottest engine got was 190 on Motec log. Then I had a hot engine alarm. Checked log and engine got to 212 deg which is when the ECM activates the alarm. Rode the rest of the day without issue. Installed RD dual thermo kit to try and help issue. No good. Won't over heat until 15 minuets of riding or so. I've always had plenty of water coming out of the pissers. So I took the RD kit off and installed RD cooling kit that's what was recommended by Glen at RD. Tool ski out today and same issue. Overheat after 15 mins or so. Plenty of water coming out all pissers. It will overheat even when just cruising at like 6K or so. To make sure plenty of water was coming out of thermostat hose I took it off at the outlet and hung the hose overboard to watch it. Water pouring out like a garden hose! So there's lots of water flowing through engine. So what do you guys think? Bad ECT? Settings in Motec? I'm out of ideas. If anyone needs more specific info please just ask! Thanks!!
    Which strainer do you have at the pump.

+1
    It's the RD pump strainer it's got the two fittings on it. One for IC and one for extra cooling

THE PLATE MAN JIM'S PERFORMANCE's Avatar
    +1
    It's the RD pump strainer it's got the two fittings on it. One for IC and one for extra cooling
    it's fine, reason i ask is if you had the riva one it can be put on backwards and cause a over heat issue.

5. +1 by:

+1
    If you are at 73mph like your signature says you should be able to run your stock ecu.
    i would say put it back and see if you have the same problem.
    also check the fzr manual on how to test the temp sensor. or you could just unplug the sensor run the engine on the hose and just put the sensor in a water cooker while monitoring it with your motec software. Check to see if the sensor is giving you the same temp as a thermometer in the watercooker.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Leendert View Post
    If you are at 73mph like your signature says you should be able to run your stock ecu.
    also check the fzr manual on how to test the temp sensor. or you could just unplug the sensor run the engine on the hose and just put the sensor in a water cooker while monitoring it with your motec software. Check to see if the sensor is giving you the same temp as a thermometer in the watercooker.
    No I'm at 80MPH now. I sold my stock ECU to you!! Lol

+1
    That's a great idea and I just did it. They agreed with each other!! I am really stumped!! The meat thermo and the coolant sensor in a pan of hot water both said about 190deg!! Now what?

+1
    Has anyone ever seen any of the little holes in the head gasket get plugged up?

+1
    No I'm at 80MPH now. I sold my stock ECU to you!! Lol
    oops sorry! too many people on this forum.
    So you have a heating problem for sure!
    Check your waterline routing bud, you must have made a mistake.

+1
    Wonder if you run the hose directly to the engine cooling intake fitting and then just have the exit line run out if it could clear any possible blockage.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information