Things I learned (the hard way) about my ski

First of all first time post long time lurker, great info here guys.

I have a 2003 STX-R that I bought 4 years ago on a whim with some gambling winnings as an impluse buy because it was cheap at a dealer ($2500). My first weekend out burned a hole in the piston. Dealer provided 90 day warranty so I took it back and they said something along the lines of previous owner had apparently tried to mill the heads didnt get it right and burn up she was. Fixed it free of charge and got it back working beautifully.

I use my ski for recreational purposes; hauling kids and friends around on tubes, skis, wake boards, knee boards, all of that enjoyable stuff. Then for me I just haul ass around the lake because you know running around at 55-60mph is AWESOME. Then a couple years ago a friend was borrowing my ski and mentioned it had started to overheat. And for the last 2 years i've been combing the internet every so often looking for answers as to why my once beautiful ski was only half of what it was. I could run around all day at 35mph but any more for any length of time would overheat and the sensor would shut me down limp style.

I had water coming out of the pisser but man it was HOT! Steaming at almost a boil, in fact i think it was boiling at one point. I used a home made flush kit everything flowed fine, was told not to flush without engine running. Water was flowing through all the jackets without any problem why oh why wont this thing cool. THought the oil pump was toast and friction might be causing it. Added 50:1 to the gas and all i got was more smoke. Cleaned out all the Ts and 90s to make sure flow was good but on a hose it was blasting out no problem from every connection in the engine bay. Whats left I asked, I guess I'll sell it I said...

Then today I was reading through these forums and someone mentioned using a zip tie to poke out every fitting and connections from the pump to the discharge. I'd done all that... except for ONE fitting. That one brass fitting from the pump outlet to the hose that makes a 90 degree under the deck. Stuck a zip tie in from the outside with my hand up the outlet to feel for the zip tie and there it was.... About 6 pebbles and a piece of very small stick plugging that one damn brass fitting on the outlet.

Took the sky down to the river and ran an entire tank wide open and the pisser never got over luke warm...

Sell it: my ass not a chance

TLR 2 years of overheating -- Found out today it was some small pebble debris in brass fitting on outlet. Ski restored to previous glory.

+1
    All ways in the last place ya look. Thanks for the reminder.

+1
    I hate to be selfish, but this is the exact reason why I don't let even close friends borrow my Skis. Not that people always have bad intentions, but I can venture to say your close friends simply don't have the full respect for your toys like you do. Just is what it is, especially how it was running fine right up until they borrowed it and it magically over heats..lol...

Glad the oldie but definitely a goodie is running great again..

+1
    the ultra 260 has the very same issue when people use the ski as a dredge, the cylinder jacket drain line to the waterbox has a ball valve fitted at the w/b, once it gets sand in there it just slowly clogs the whole rubber hose. doesnt really effect cooling though as this model ski was overcooled anyway.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rescue1 View Post
    I hate to be selfish, but this is the exact reason why I don't let even close friends borrow my Skis. Not that people always have bad intentions, but I can venture to say your close friends simply don't have the full respect for your toys like you do. Just is what it is, especially how it was running fine right up until they borrowed it and it magically over heats..lol...
    The general rule of thumb regarding PERSONAL watercraft is: Don't let anyone ride it that you wouldn't share your toothbrush with.

Thread Information