Thread: GTX problem

GTX problem

New here.

Brother was was riding my 2005 GTX and suddenly it lost thrust. It is fine at idle but once you put it under load it starts making a noise like a spun bearing somewhere in the driveline.

It it seems very similar to how outboard motors sound when you spin a hub.

Ive been watching you tube videos trying to diagnose but haven't seen anything directly on point. Could it be the impeller bearing or have I spun the engine coupler??

thanks guys....

+1
    First and obvious things to check is the intake grate is clear of debris and the impeller, pump, and nozzle are free of debris.

If above is clear, then the splines on the drive shaft and or impeller are most likely stripped out. The only way to check this is to remove the pump with the impeller and check the splines of both the drive shaft and impeller. The wear ring should be inspected for gauges and scratches also.

report back.

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    First and obvious things to check is the intake grate is clear of debris and the impeller, pump, and nozzle are free of debris.

If above is clear, then the splines on the drive shaft and or impeller are most likely stripped out. The only way to check this is to remove the pump with the impeller and check the splines of both the drive shaft and impeller. The wear ring should be inspected for gauges and scratches also.

report back.
    Yes, I have already pulled the pump off. There is a terrible grinding when I spin the impeller. The wear ring is certainly scuffed up and appears to have some more recent gouging.... The noise was definitely a mechanical slipping. I'm not sure how those bearings work. Splines on both driveshaft and impeller look fine I think....

Sounds to me like the bearings let loose in the pump. Exact same problem on my wifes ski at the end of last season almost sank getting it back to shore. Pull the cone off and check the bearings

+1
    Has the SC been rebuilt lately? Does it have metal Clutches in it?
    could it be SC wheel touching the housing, due to bad bearings?

No sc on my model.

I think ink boosteds answer makes sense. The ski also had a bunch of water in it. Although thinking that through not sure how that would cause it to leak unless the drive shaft slipped and the carbon seal wasn't touching anymore....

Bearings in the pump go bad so the drive shaft wobbles and pushes back towards the motor when it gets in a bind letting water in thru the carbon seal. in my case, LOTS of water

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by boosteddsm99 View Post
    Bearings in the pump go bad so the drive shaft wobbles and pushes back towards the motor when it gets in a bind letting water in thru the carbon seal. in my case, LOTS of water
    Same thing happened to a friends 03 GTX pump bearing let go, driveshaft moves forward under load, carbon ring and hat were 1/2" apart and it takes on water real fast.

+1
    Sounds like you found the problem!

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....TEM---EXTERNAL

#9 is the bearing, you will need it minimum, but probably #8-12, a press, and a shop manual to rebuild the pump.

www.brpmanuals.com

You did good to figure this out so quick.

Man you guys are helpful. Thanks a ton.....

I'll check YouTube to see if I can do this without a press.

Since I've already got it sitting in the back of my truck I wonder if I should just hand it to our local powers ports shop and let them do it

Thread Information