Opinions....Amsoil or Mystik??

Hello all. I am new to this board but have owned PWC's in the past (8 years ago). Recently I purchased a new Yamaha VX Deluxe. I intend on keeping the watercraft for as long as it will last. My question concerns oil for this 4-Stroke. First, let me say that I realize that if I follow the manuals recommendation for oil type/spec, I will not void the warranty nor cause any oil related issues. BUT........I'm the type that really wants to provide the best oil out there even if in the long term no tangible difference would result.

I've narrowed my selections between these two oils:

AMSOIL 4-Stroke Marine Synthetic
    and MYSTIK JT-4 4-Cycle Marine Synthetic

My criteria is:
    Must be 10w-40
    Synthetic
    NMMA FC-W Certified

If anybody out there can post opinions of these two oils based on experience and/or product knowledge that I might find useful, I'd appreciate it. Money isn't an issue but for comparison sake the Amsoil is about 40% more than the Mystik.

Thanks in advance!

+1
    a buddy of mine owned a jetski rental, and would only replace oil every ~200 hours on vx sports and put the cheapest oil on em, he had couple of vx's with over 1000 hours just sayin

+1
    I use Amsoil myself. Change once a year at the end of the year.

+1
    Been a while since an oil question...I made switch from Yamalube which is still good to Amsoil Marine and ski runs perfect.

I welcome opinions and appreciate the responses so far. It would be nice to get a direct analytical basis for the differences in these two oils and what may make one more suitable than the other. I've been over at the bobistheoilguy.com website as well trying to get more info, but so far no luck. I'm not very good at reading the manufacturer provided breakdown of the products

+1
    You are over thinking the oil thing, You ran a very basic yet proven Yamaha ski. Its not supercharged not modded use Yamalube change it every season and enjoy your ski. The only time I would use Amsoil is if you find it cheaper than yamalube. MR1 does rev higher but only ~8000RPM on VX vs ~10,300 on FX HO and 13000RPM on yamaha bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by DonHy View Post
    You are over thinking the oil thing, You ran a very basic yet proven Yamaha ski. Its not supercharged not modded use Yamalube change it every season and enjoy your ski. The only time I would use Amsoil is if you find it cheaper than yamalube. MR1 does rev higher but only ~8000RPM on VX vs ~10,300 on FX HO and 13000RPM on yamaha bikes.
    I know....I tend to do that. And as I've stated before, I know that any good oil in accordance with the required specs from Yamaha will work well. Still, I'd like to know the main differences in these two oils and any properties/advantages one may have over the other. I didn't really expect anybody to have a definitive reply....but thought I'd give it a shot.

+1
    On the 2 stroke side I am using mystik. It is awesome oil. A 2 stoke analysis shows the mystik as one of top oils, meeting or exceeding JASO FD certifications. For the price, I would say your best bet is Mystik. Here's a link for the 2 stoke analysis. I would bet the 4 stroke is just as good.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AWA MEMBER
    +1
    Use the Yamalube and factory filter......best for your ride

Thread Information