Wave venture 1100 seizing after carb rebuild

I just rebuilt my carbs and my fuel pump with genuine parts, but now I have another problem. After two hours of riding and in the middle of the lake, it started seizing. If you let it sit for a few minutes it would un seize and start back up and run until it got hot again. Never got an overheat light though. The engine already had low compression about 95 across the board, but now cylinder one is 50. Could a lean condition overheat just one cylinder to the point of seizure? I rebuilt the carbs and pump to cure a major bog and hesitation of the line, but it didn't cure it. Any chances the crank and rods survived the seizing?

Basically I want to rebuild it but I am unsure why it died and what is obviously still wrong with the fuel system. I do t think it was a lack of line as it appears to be pumping when it's running, but it's not using the oil very fast....

If one carb was lean then yes it could seize just that cylinder. Did you ever tune your carbs after you rebuilt them or did you just put them back on and go? Best way to check the damage is to tear down top of motor and see what got damaged. You should pressure test the engine before. Tearing anything down. If you do a forum search, there's directions on how to build a tester and how to test it. As for why it died, you were obviously lean on one cylinder, maybe more. If you had a bog, then you were lean. If you never adjusted the carbs properly, then you've found your reason.

I set the low and high adjusters to stock settings and set the pop off at 50 psi, I'll look into pressure testing

Did you do the needles and seats? If your carbs were dribbling, it would produce a bog at take off from the excess fuel in the carbs.

+1
    The carbs and fuel pumps are very dependent on the condition of the engine. Low compression screws up the signals the carbs get and screws up the pulse signal the fuel pumps use.

Thread Information