Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Kevin Shaw: Under Constant Observation

[Let me preface this by saying that I don't drink alcohol, and equally feel that it has never been my place to impose my personal reasons for not doing so on others. My values are mine and such decisions should be left to the individual to make. Nor is this the dais to evaluate whether alcohol consumption is ethical, moral or even sanitary. Rather, I will be commenting on the sensitive subject of appropriateness, particularly as I view it. This is an editorial, and therefore my opinion. So take it for you will.]

What today’s world of constant and generally unearned emotional affirmation has done for our youth has taught them that if everyone is “special,” than none of us are. Schools and self-described educators have done a fantastic job of distributing participation awards, gold stars for attendance and equally milquetoast accolades to the underachievers as the achievers, effectively dissuading any motivation for excellence. When each of us are extraordinary, we are all indeed ordinary.

Click to Read More...

+1
    Excellent stance, Kevin!

I, too, am a non-drinker. But I'm not so private about the reason for that. I used to drink. A lot. And then I would drive. Somehow, I never hurt or killed anyone while doing so. But I did manage to get a couple of DUIs. Now that I drive for a living, a DUI would end my career for sure. However, I did quit long before I began driving professionally.

Why did I drink? Any number of excuses, I guess. But I also guess that it mainly boils down to avoiding responsibility for myself and growing up. All the way through age 35.

Now that I'm older by 20 years, I find that life is better without the alcohol. I also find that I am sometimes quite judgmental toward people who seem live only to drink. Those who can't wait to get off of work so they can have "a drink or two." Those who can't wait for the weekend in order to drink themselves into oblivion all in the name of having a good time. Can't they think of another way to relax or celebrate?

I have since surrounded myself with more responsible people--many of them GreenHulkers. But even then, the spectrum is run from, "Noooooooo. Not while on the PWC!" to others never being without a drink.

Here in south Louisiana, it's really hard to get a non-drinking message across when we have so many festivals. On the surface, that wouldn't be bad at all! However, it seems like the focus is on drinking for nearly all of our festivals. And when children are raised in this atmosphere it becomes a part of life.

I just don't know what I can do to promote sobriety while boating.

+1
    That isn't an "unpopular position to take" one bit dude. I myself am a beer drinker...a big beer drinker. LOVE beer! But I still have my own personal "rules" I guess you could call it and they have served me and society very well over the years. I always make arrangements for rides when I know drinking will be happening away from the house. And for at the lake, if it's just a day trip I don't even bring beer with me and wont even go with anybody who would.

It's too F'in hot here to be drinking beer in the sun and heat anyways...heat stroke accelerated by alcohol intake is not fun, to say the least. The only times I think it's ok and when I bring beer to the water is if we are camping overnight. After all the riding is done for the day and the sun is setting and the ski's are anchored and the grill is started...that's when some beer/booze is ok at the water in my book...I consider it like waiting until AFTER work to hit Happy Hour...but it's Happy Hour at the water instead.

And not to mention here in Arizona, not sure how it is in other states but that's all the water cops look for. They may be stopping you for this or that but ultimately they are looking for signs of drinking and they will arrest you for DUI and they will impound your ski...and you will go to jail and court just like if you got busted driving a car. Not even worth the risk just for those reasons, let alone the safety and endangerment to life reasons.

4. +1 by:

+1
    Well said Kevin. We have a group of friends that get together and ride a couple of times a year and have invited and have had folks invite them selves to our rides. Most of them when they find out we don't drink and ride either complain about it or just never get back with us. Either way its fine with us. I don't drink either I really don't mind if you have a beer or two in the evening around the fire but keep it there. Too many folks get hurt or killed accuse of alcohol.
    Thank you for stepping up.

John

6. +1 by:

+1
    Kevin, thanks for the well spoken words .... we all know about the dangers of drinking and using any type of motorized ride (car, boat, and skis). I like to have a cocktail every now & then ... but when I am on my boat with friends & family I leave the drinking to them ... always opt for a soda. I have never rode my ski ... after a drink. When we go to marinas and others might have a beer ... and I see others drinking & get on their boats or skis .... I just get upst for their lake of respect for all the others with whom they must share the water ways with. Kevin, keep pushing this message .... it is the right thing to do ... thanks

+1
    I have to agree with all of you guys! After spending so much of my youth (and then some!) being irresponsible, I have completely changed. And now I feel horribly stupid about the things I did when drinking--especially driving.

I do seem to be the minority here, though. It looks like you guys have everything under control whereas I wasn't in control. And I think that's probably why I ultimately quit: because I'm kind of a control freak. Quit smoking for the same reason around the same time.

I just cannot get into the mindset of jumping on a PWC or boat and head for the nearest sand bar to get blasted! I got my PWCs to ride. Safely.

9. +1 by:

Banned User
    +1
    I agree completely. Hell, I use my non use of alcohol as my excuse for riding my PWCs. When people ask about what I spend on gas, I tell them "hey at least Im not spending it in the tavern." I do enjoy a beer occasionally, but luckily for me, I do not enjoy the feeling of being drunk at all. I never drink on the water. I do not want to ride with anyone who is drinking.

+1
    Gentlemen, thank you all for the kind words. I have to admit, I was really discouraged with what I was seeing coming through the Intarwebs this past holiday weekend, so these posts are really reaffirming.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Gentlemen, thank you all for the kind words. I have to admit, I was really discouraged with what I was seeing coming through the Intarwebs this past holiday weekend, so these posts are really reaffirming.
    And thank you for writing that great piece.

+1
    Much respect for you writing this article.

14. +1 by:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information