SeaDoocer

Lubing the steering cable?

I looked in the FAQ's for this but couldn't find it. Haven't really looked at what's involved but know I need to do it...can anyone give me a low down on what and how? Thanks in advance

SeaDoocer
    No one can help on this huh?

+1
    there is a small end cap on the end of the rod that is connected to the ski, pull it back and put marine greese around the shiny rod and then turn the steering a few times and replace the cap..

Will work on YOUR ski for FREE! GeoRXT's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by meeper View Post
    there is a small end cap on the end of the rod that is connected to the ski, pull it back and put marine greese around the shiny rod and then turn the steering a few times and replace the cap..
    I would like to do this as well but have no idea what you are talking about.....Any chance of getting a picture of what you are reffering to?

getting lube in the steering cable is a major PITA, most lube cable adapters don`t do squat!

You could dis-connect the cable from the steering head, then work spray down into the cable...PR...
    very messy

+1
    i will try asap...

Brining this thread back to see if anyone has figured out a good way to lubricate the steering cable. I am in the process of installing my umi and would like to do this before I re-connect the cable.

Thanks in advance!

I know this is an old thread, but just preparing my 200 RXT for the season, as it's the first sunny, dry day for a while.

My steering seems to have become very stiff over the winter. Takes an awful lot of effort to move it. I've tried spraying lube on everything obvious.

Is it worth trying to dismantle the handlebar assembly, not sure how to remove the cowling.

Any other ideas to help?

Banned User
    I just did mine, I had it out of the boat, I hung it up, sprayed FLUID FILM in the high end and worked the cable in and out, I did this until I came out the bottom...then I did it a bit more. I guess if you dont want to take it out you could unhook the cable from the bars and tip the trailer up so the nose is high and it should do the same thing.

Is there any instructions anywhere on exactly how to disconnect the cable at each end (preferably with photos ).

I really don't want to pay the silly dealer prices, if I can do it myself. If it's relatively easy to disconnect, I may even just buy a new cable and install myself.

Thread Information