JS440 idle, tough start question

I've recently acquired a JS440, 1995. Took it out this weekend for the first time, it was a blast.

One thing I noticed, it is sometimes tough to start in the water. The machine is warm, but it will still crank a few seconds (3-8 sec) and I'll have to give it a little gas. Once it gets going, it runs great. If I try to idle it in the water, the engine will quit.

all this cranking will eventually kill the battery, so, i'm a bit worried about that. I had a seadoo (2-stroke) that was sometimes the same way.

Is this normal, or should I adjust the idle? Or maybe the low speed jet clogged?

thanks

3-8seconds to start sounds normal to me. Not idling in the water is either fuel lines or the carb itself. If you have 30 year old fuel lines in there you might want to change them out. Its about $18 worth of fuel line from autozone and an hours work. Who knows what type of build up could have accumulated in there over time.

You obviously adjusted the idle screw on the carb first, correct?

I haven't touched the idle screw yet. sometimes it idles fine, sometimes it doesn't. a few times i dumped it and the engine stayed running enough for the ski to circle back around to me. Other times it will quit.

i'll start with change the gas lines, then adjust the idle and go from there.

Quote Originally Posted by caliburst View Post
    3-8seconds to start sounds normal to me. Not idling in the water is either fuel lines or the carb itself. If you have 30 year old fuel lines in there you might want to change them out. Its about $18 worth of fuel line from autozone and an hours work. Who knows what type of build up could have accumulated in there over time.

You obviously adjusted the idle screw on the carb first, correct?

+1
    Play around with the idle adjustment first, not hard at all. Not sure if your familiar with engines but it should be quite obvious which is the idle screw.

All weekend I was having a similar problem on my 650. turned out my engine was vibrating enough that it was slowly loosening my idle screw while riding.

Thread Information