+1

ODD ISSUE on SPX 787

Ok, here is another one that even my local dealer cant figure out...

I have a 98 SPX with the silver 787...for about 3 years now, it floods out while sitting, beached.

you have to start the ski with the fuel in the OFF position, and let it chug to life, then flip the fuel on and ride ur heart out... but when you come back in you better shut the fuel off before you shut it down... or else you will have to put it on the trailer, take the plugs out, and hit the starter until all of the fuel comes out.

I have set the carbs to seadoo, had them cleaned, replaced all the parts.. 1.5 needles and seats and used the black springs... adjusted all the screws to factory spec and installed.... still has the same exact issue... nobody seems to know why it does this.

After this weekend it doesn't matter if you leave the fuel in the OFF position or not... it still floods out and will NOT start.

Could it be leaking water into the chambers rather than fuel? where would this come from? where do I look...

this ski has 113 compression on both sides....

Also, the ski takes on a little bit of water, and from what I can tell.. its coming from the little hose around the PTO shaft... if you pull back on it water rushes in.... or out if its on the trailer....??? the GSX I have does the same thing, but im not sure water comes in, this ski stays dry.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    STM like the carb rebuilder was on the tail end of a 6 pack..OR the tank vents aren't working. either will allow the fuel pressure to press pas tthe n/s and fill the engine with fuel.

that little hose holds the carbon ring..must be worn..water on the back side of the accordion boot cools the entire affair. You can make water enter the hulla t anytime by putting any pressure on the setup. The boots lose thier pring and/or the arbon seal gets worn out/damaged. Fix that before the ski sinks.

+1
    sweet, I will do that... as for the carb, ive done it 6 or 7 times now, no alchohol involved... and get the same results... I will check the vents to the tank... I bet u are onto something here!!!! thank you...

please check my other post if you don't mind... maybe you can shed some light here as well
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=216761

I see that u are in NM... how bout all that new water... I personally watch Ute come up about a foot and a 1/2 last weekend WOOT!

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    you can leave the tank cap cracked to check to see if it really is excessive tank pressure doing the dirty. If the tank gives a long hiss when you crack the cap the pressure is likley too high. if you leave the cap cracked and the engine doesn't flood then you have some better clues...

I'd suspect the fuel valve isn't cutting it all off either they do wear out......

+1
    great, I have a new carbon seal, and boot on the way... and I have a spare petcock for the fuel shut off... im gonna check the vents when I get home... I know this thing hisses sometimes when opening the fuel cap.

+1
    Your needle & seat are leaking.

The reason it doesn't hiss all the time (or blow the gas cap out of your hand) is because you waited to listen/check it.
    The normal built up pressure in the tank is blowing fuel past the N&S till it stabilizes...flooding the carbs.

When checking your pop off make sure you are able to hold 10-15 psi for on min with the cover off so you can make sure the oring isn't leaking as well then check with the cover on to make sure the diaphragm doesn't open the needle and seat the needle and seat arm should be level with the carb body and you should have 28-34 psi on a stock boat if memory serves me

Thread Information