Bartlett Lake Az MisHap!!!!!!98 Yamaha xl1200......

(1998 Yamaha xl1200 running Premix)So all weekend starting from Friday to Sunday night Me and the Family was at bartlett lake running the yami all day long for 3 days straight with no problems ,yesterday(Monday) we decided to go out again and the Yami xl1200 was running perfect from 8am till about 5pm when it all of a sudden it turned off going about 52mph......I was like WTF...cuz I completely rebuilt the engine (bored over 1.0 on all 3 cylinders)on this ski last year , rebuilt the 3 carbs as well.......anyways I Started it back up and rode for about 10 minutes and it shut off again.....No warning beeps,nuthing..........Turned it on again and it rode fine for the next 2-1/2 hours,we left about 8pm.......this morning I check the compression on all 3 cylinders and Mag is 135psi.....Center is 60psi.....and pto is 138..........gawd dammit!!!!!!!!...........as of January this year we have rode the yami about 14 times with no problems....now what I want to know is how often do you rebuild the carbs?(every summmer).....should I just rebuilt the center carb or all 3?.....how fast do the carbs get gummed up running premix?...........gonna tear into the engine tonight to see if there is any damage......If no damage is found Im just gonna hone center cylinder and replace the rings.....If anyone can chime in it would be greatly appreciated....thanks in advance..

So after tearing into the Yamaha xl1200 engine this morning........guess what monster was lurking inside?????..........It wasnt the center carb that I initially thought(running lean).........It was the wristpin C-Clip that came off and gouged a valley into the side of the piston and hammered pieces into the top of the piston.....I pulled the carbs just to double check the small filters and they were clean as a whistle..........already dropped of the cylinders at a machine shop to get honed and order a piston kit from azjetski(phoenix).....Just thought I would share......

The other side still had the C-Clip

Check out that ugly valley

Piston rings were still intact but had small grooves from the distroyed wristpin c-clip.

+1
    Ouch! Do you think the c clip just wasn't seated properly when you did the rebuild? I check and recheck mine.

Quote Originally Posted by rplaster View Post
    Ouch! Do you think the c clip just wasn't seated properly when you did the rebuild? I check and recheck mine.
    I triple check them...I use a adjustable rod mirror to look to see if the wristpin C-clips are seated......it looks like the groove the clip sits in was not deep enough,comparing both sides..the left side with the c-clip still in it looked a tad bit deeper.............I already picked up the single piston kit,just waiting till 9am to pick up the cylinders......gonna get it all back together by noon and on the water by 2pm.....

+1
    Maybe you had some debris in the groove not allowing it to seat. I've heard of that happening.
    Yeowuch....that sucker just kept bouncing around and couldn't get out....

+1
    Side note. My skis sit for almost 6 months over the winter. If I don't run Marine grade staybil in them a tank or two before I store them the pre-mix will gum up. So take my advise please and run that blue stuff in there if you are going to let it sit for a month or longer you will be happy.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielDucati View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by rplaster View Post
    I triple check them...I use a adjustable rod mirror to look to see if the wristpin C-clips are seated......it looks like the groove the clip sits in was not deep enough,comparing both sides..the left side with the c-clip still in it looked a tad bit deeper.............I already picked up the single piston kit,just waiting till 9am to pick up the cylinders......gonna get it all back together by noon and on the water by 2pm.....
    I'm curious, what brand piston is it?

Thread Information