Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

05 RXT Dies Every 15 Seconds

I have a 2005 RXT. It has been giving several different issues.

It started off by giving a "HI TEMP" alarm when doing donuts, multiple sharp turns in a row or just running at high rpms for a couple minutes. It beeps really load and I usually shut the ski down. I have monitored the "E TEMP" but it never changes even when I get the "HI TEMP" alarm. If I ride like a grandmother I never get the fault which is loads of fun.

Second problem, bigger issue, last year the ski got to where it automatically cranked when I installed the key. In addition, it would not turn off until the key was removed. Other than annoying, this was not a big deal. This past Saturday, I took the ski out. When I installed the key it would not crank. I could hear a constant clicking noise. After many tries, the ski started. I ran for several hours never turning it off for fear of it not starting again. When I got it home to purge the system and wash the ski it cranked with no issue. I checked the ski at home before taking it out again yesterday. Again it just clicked constantly. I put a screwdriver across the starter really and it did not crank just constant clicking. I cleaned the battery terminals and it cranked right away. Took the ski out and it ran as usual (start/stop button not working, no big deal). After parking the ski for several minutes, the start/stop button started working, however, the ski would only run for 10-20 seconds before it would cut off on its own. It did this repeatedly (approximately 15 times) until I parked the ski. During the short time it was running, the screen flashed "SENSOR." I checked and got a P1517 fault. Came back to run the unit about an hour later and it ran as usual with not issue(start/stop button not working).

I bought the unit used in 2012. It was always used in fresh water. I only run in salt water. I am religious on flushing the unit and washing it down after every run. It is completely stock.

+1
    rule of thumb if somthing does not work fix it, or you get more and more issues down the road, then solnoid, starter , Bendix etc issues and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek45 View Post
    rule of thumb if somthing does not work fix it, or you get more and more issues down the road, then solnoid, starter , Bendix etc issues and so on.
    I was actually looking for ideas on how to fix the problem, but thank you Captain Obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by jtrippttu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek45 View Post
    I was actually looking for ideas on how to fix the problem, but thank you Captain Obvious.
    Might want to take some of your own advise and not be a snarky asshole.

No one is going to want to help you if you're a douche. Cpt. Obvious.

+1
    change the starter solenoid and the temperature sensor, cheap, easy.

+1
    E-Temp = exterior temp not engine or exhaust.

7. +1 by:

+1
    sounds like the Start button wires are pinched, or shorted together. i would try another steering harness first, then change the Start selenoid if still having issues.
    PO 1517 is Compass out of range, (which u don't have on that model)
    Sounds like your MPEM or ECU lost its settings, and u should go to the dealer to have them Un-check the compass with BUDS software, and clear the codes.

next time it beeps sensor, press the "set" button 5 times to scroll thru the fault codes.
    write them down, & let the dealer know.

Welcome to Greenhulk

I see there is a temperature sensor in the coolant system. Is there a temperature sensor in the exhaust?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jtrippttu View Post
    I see there is a temperature sensor in the coolant system. Is there a temperature sensor in the exhaust?
    Yes there is.

Are there different P codes for the exhaust temp sensor and the coolant temp sensor if I check the code when I get a HI TEMP alarm? Or does the HI TEMP alarm only refer to the exhaust or coolant temp in particular?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information