Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 Polaris Virage TX motor cuts out on throttle after idle.

Hello, I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first ski. 2000 Polaris Virage TX. It runs great except for one problem. I can usually get it started on the first couple of attempts. I then idle my way out for a couple minutes and then hit the throttle. Most of the time, it completely cuts out. I attempt to start it again and everything works fine. Hit the throttle and I'm in business. It runs great. I've hit 60mph. Any ideas? My gut tells me it's a fuel system issue, but I really don't know enough about these yet. Any thoughts are appreciated.

In case it's relevant, I just purchase the ski this weekend and am still on my first tank of gas. It was about empty when I bought it so I stopped at the gas station before putting it in the water and filled it up. It was just de-winterized.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Can you confirm that your engine has carburetors? If it has carbs the spark plugs will stick straight up from the top of the cylinders.

The speedometer accuracy is not 100% so the preferred measurement is engine RPM. At full speed a healthy engine will display consistent RPM.

In hot weather I would expect your Virage TX (carburetor engine, I presume) would run around 6500 RPM, maybe a bit higher. 6700-6900RPM might be expected in colder air.

Do you know the service and maintenance history for this machine?

When were the carburetors last serviced?

Does it still have the original gray Tempo brand fuel hoses?

What spark plugs are installed?

Thanks for the response. Yes, there are 3 cylinders with spark plugs coming out of the top I think that is what you're asking. I won't be able to check the RPMs until this weekend when I'm back where the ski is at. I also am unsure of the gray tempo fuel hoses and spark plugs being used and can check those as well. The dealer I bought it from replaced them, but I'm pretty sure they were cheap ones because I purchased a few backups at like $3.99 a piece. I don't have the history on it unfortunately.

Banned User
    +1
    Does it run up and go if you pump the throttle a few times? Im guessing it may be the accelerator pump losing its prime while the ski is sitting. I have that issue occasionally with one of my skis.

Are you saying to pump the throttle a few times before I start it? Pumping it after it's idle is making it cut out?

Banned User
    +1
    Just pumping it once or multiple times? Do it multiple times quickly and see what the engine does.

Ok, you're saying to try and pump it multiple times from idle. I'll definitely give that a try. May be a stupid question, but is it a bad thing to pull the throttle while it is off?

Banned User
    +1
    Pulling the throttle wont hurt anything. In fact, remove the flame arrestor cover and squeeze the throttle quickly to see if the nozzles for the accel pump squirt fuel down the carbs. Do this with the engine off after it has been sitting for a bit.

Thanks, I'll try this out over the weekend. Could it be something that may just work itself out as it has just been dewinterized?

I took a look this weekend and do still have the gray tempo fuel lines in there? Do these need to be replaced and could that be causing my issue? Spark plugs match what's in the manual. Another thought, could it be the fuel filter? How hard would it be to replace the lines and fuel filter myself. And if I should replace the fuel lines, what should I replace them with? Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information