New to site, need HELP on a ski!

Hello all! im new to greenhulk, but have been reading your forums for tips and general things for awhile now as im about to purchase a ski and get on the water! However since im very new this(only rode a handful of times on my bros old 97xp) i would like to get some advice on what to purchase. my buddy has a '10 RXP_X and i only rode passenger but the thing seemed like a beast and WAY different than the old xp, so pretty sure thats the direction im looking to head in. so basically im just looking for some suggestions from you all since i enjoyed most of the threads i have read and alot of you seem very educated and passionate about your machines!

Also...
    *I live in se michigan, so will be riding only later spring/summer months, usually(again mi weather haha) may-sept
    *Mostly casual riding/zippin around(like fast, fast is good), maybe some lake on calm days i live on an island in the detroit river between mi and canada and its attached to lake erie
    *Have a budget of 10,000 exactly
    *Mechanically competent

Found these locally, what you think?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00w0w_duYZhW1duPA_600x450.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	330548Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00c0c_grhzlBQbgOJ_600x450.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	38.2 KB 
ID:	330549

1.first one is 06 rxp, 40hrs, usual claims "great conditon, everything works flawless, etc" asking $6,500(no trailer)

2.second one 07 rxp, 75hrs, new "gel battery", again usual claims, asking $6500 as well (no trailer)

*these both are from the same owner (2nd owner) claims he put about 25-30 hrs on since hes owned them
    *says he is selling because of seadoo jet boat purchase
    *06 has had "washers" replaced?? 07 is stock

Personal note: im kinda leaning towrads the 07 for the stock factor, its newer, and i absolutly love the color scheme/graphics

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    You may want to look around some and not jump on the first thing that comes up....really need to think about what you want out of a ski....Low hours isnt always a good thing on older skis....If you can, test drive several makes and models of skis since you do not have a lot of experience on water craft to see what you like and dont like.... We have a saying around Tn....Friends dont let Friends ride Seadoo's...........Good Luck...

+1
    I was in the same boat (no pun intended) as you last year; was in the market for a used 4tec SeaDoo.

The '04-early '06 models had 2 notoriously problematic issues;
    1) ceramic washers in the S/C, which if they were to fail, basically destroyed the entire engine. Could be "easily" fixed with a S/C rebuild utilizing SS washers instead.
    2) exhaust valve failures, which again if failed, destroy entire engine. Slightly harder fix requiring the removal of the head, and valve replacements. SeaDoo/BRP fixed this issue with different valves mid-2006.

I went with an '07 RXT just to be safe from the exhaust valve failures, and when I got the S/C rebuilt, upgraded to a bigger wheel while I was at it
    And I'm rather partial to the '07 graphics as well hahaha

i understand i shouldnt jump on the first ones i come across, i just wanna make sure im able to jump on one because where im at this time of year the pickings are getting slim and the prices are more firm haha. i appreciate the advice and im deff going to explore my options these are just a couple of the better ones i feel like ive come across so far. and what would you suggest i take a look at as opposed to a seadoo? thats all my buddys own so im just a little partial cuz its all i really know haha

twok-ha yea looks like your deff a fan of the graphics too, nice ski man. so from what i gather, post06 you wont have to worry about these valve/washer issues? and what did it run you to do your rebuid (sc) including the bigger wheel, and do you feel it was a worthy purchase? also what things should i look for/inspect when i go take a look at them prior to purchase?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_P View Post
    twok-ha yea looks like your deff a fan of the graphics too, nice ski man. so from what i gather, post06 you wont have to worry about these valve/washer issues? and what did it run you to do your rebuid (sc) including the bigger wheel, and do you feel it was a worthy purchase? also what things should i look for/inspect when i go take a look at them prior to purchase?

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    It's the '04 - mid'06 that had exhaust valve problems.
    and it's the '04 - '10 (I believe?? someone correct me if I'm wrong) that had ceramic washer problems.
    So post mid-'06 you shouldn't have EXHAUST valve problems, but should def get the S/C rebuilt w/ new washers.

Here's the pricing on S/C rebuilds, depends on if you want just a washer change, or complete rebuild + upgrades
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146938

S/C rebuild + upgrades (ET 127 and 42's) were $955 total, and tooottalllyyyyy worth the upgrade for the price!!!

It's kinda (extremely) difficult to inspect anything engine/mechanically related (such as valves or S/C washers) w/o disassembling the engine (i.e. taking the valve cover or entire S/C off), but if the seller is comfortable with that!...
    I basically went off of the previous owner being the original owner, kept it in meticulous condition, not a scratch on her, engine bay looked beautiful, etc...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twokexlv6coupe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_P View Post

Sorry if I wasn't clear.
    It's the '04 - mid'06 that had exhaust valve problems.
    and it's the '04 - '10 (I believe?? someone correct me if I'm wrong) that had ceramic washer problems.
    So post mid-'06 you shouldn't have EXHAUST valve problems, but should def get the S/C rebuilt w/ new washers.

Here's the pricing on S/C rebuilds, depends on if you want just a washer change, or complete rebuild + upgrades
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=146938

S/C rebuild + upgrades (ET 127 and 42's) were $955 total, and tooottalllyyyyy worth the upgrade for the price!!!

It's kinda (extremely) difficult to inspect anything engine/mechanically related (such as valves or S/C washers) w/o disassembling the engine (i.e. taking the valve cover or entire S/C off), but if the seller is comfortable with that!...
    I basically went off of the previous owner being the original owner, kept it in meticulous condition, not a scratch on her, engine bay looked beautiful, etc...

It was 04 to 07 that had ceramics washers...08 and up went to metal washers(Gold in color)..If this were me i would go with the 07 as the 06 is in a world of its own,ECU upgrades can be a pain in the ass if ever in the market....07 had no real issues except for the clutches...Your gonna want to have the Scer rebuilt anyway seeing it is now over 7 years old...It should be rebuilt every 2 years or 100 hours which ever comes first..So right away your looking at a rebuild....other than that the 07 should be good to go besides changing the oil and plugs...AND if there is any gas left in the tanks i would get that out too and start with fresh gas....As far as which other brand to choose from???that is mearly preference as you have the Seadoo haters,Yamaha Haters and so on..its all in what you like and feel comfortable on...

Thread Information