Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Need HELP deciding!

hey guys/girls! i posted this on another open discussion area here, not sure whats the appropriate spot, (im really new to this so forgive me if i messed up) lol. but anyway im looking to become a new owner and need some opinions/suggestions. I have 10,000 to spend and with with this warm weather its begging to get spent on a ski! Heres what i found locally

1.first one is 06 rxp, 40hrs, usual claims "great conditon, everything works flawless, etc" asking $6,500(no trailer)

2.second one 07 rxp, 75hrs, new "gel battery", again usual claims, asking $6500 as well (no trailer)

*these both are from the same owner (2nd owner) claims he put about 25-30 hrs on since hes owned them
    *says he is selling because of seadoo jet boat purchase
    *06 has had "washers" replaced?? 07 is stock

Personal note: im kinda leaning towrads the 07 for the stock factor, its newer, and i absolutly love the color scheme/graphics

ride it like you stole it!!! raceneked's Avatar
    +1
    then get the '07.
    It would be prudent to have the SC'er rebuilt,

welcome to the HULK.

thanks for the response and welcome! im hopin to pull the trigger soon on something, theres also an 09 around here too with 15hrs thing looks mint guys askin 9k tho. but with the 07 yea i would deff have the sc rebuilt, and do any kind of routine maintanence you would normally do once i take ownership. what does the sc rebuild cost typically? and i will probably get into a lil modding down the road question is, is there a decent aftermarket for these models or is it mostly geared towrds the newer models(and how do these 215's stack up against the 255/60s?)

+1
    Personally i'd go with the 07 for sure. There is a potential for the 06, depending on the production date, to have the early stamping valves which are known to snap. Even if the 06 washer's were changed, for my piece of mind i would pull the charger to get a look at it. I want to see the washers were changed first hand and make sure the slip is correct.

Jerry runs a SCr rebuild service on here. I think the parts kit is about $320 plus the service. Thats way less than a new charger.

As far as aftermarket, the 07 will have a better selection of ECUs, do a little research on here. With both ski's you can get some quick gains, but the money will start to add up with the modding.

Goodluck!

+1
    Honestly, if you have $10k to burn I would go get a brand new 2014 RXP-X! No brainer to me........

Absolutey worlds of difference in performance, handling, looks, and you are not inheriting someone else's problems.

yea im deff leaning towards the 07 or newer, from what i understand you guys are saying i wont have to worry about the valves/washers if it is post-06? and just from lookin around (briefly) it appears that alot of the bolton options and mods are geared towards the newer 255/60's...however, again, being new to this i have a lot more looking around and research to do but thats just what it looks like from what ive seen so far.

and 10k is my entire budget, from ski to trailer to title. i just havnt seen anything new for that anywhere, otherwise trust me its a no brainer to me as well haha i would be going new! but my thought is maybe something a cpl years older for less and then use the extra cash for mods to perk it up a little?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_P View Post
    and 10k is my entire budget, from ski to trailer to title. i just havnt seen anything new for that anywhere, otherwise trust me its a no brainer to me as well haha i would be going new! but my thought is maybe something a cpl years older for less and then use the extra cash for mods to perk it up a little?
    You can find 2012 left overs for about $10,000. But if $10,000 is your budget that won't quite cut it. Don't push the budget if it is set in stone. With that said, a 2007 ski is essentially 7 years old at this point. Given the nature of their use, you might want to think about buying a newer ski even if that means no supercharger. You don't want to inherit someone else's problems (as someone mentioned earlier) and maintenance/repairs can add up to the price of a newer ski. Being broken down in a car sucks, being broken down on the water is many times worse.

yea im pretty much trying to keep it set in stone which i guess puts me right in a grey area lol between somethin new and used, but had to set a lot of previous things in stone in order to get the 10 back i have now to spend....which i guess i could just save/alot a little more but then thats eating more weeks into summer and you are right about inheriting someone elses problems thats why im willing to spend a lil more for the lower hrs on these performance models (i kno used is used and it could have 5hrs on it used and still be full of issues) but i guess its a risk im willing to take. What is your advice on what to look for/listen for, good questions to ask, and things to inspect when looking at one?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett_P View Post
    yea im pretty much trying to keep it set in stone which i guess puts me right in a grey area lol between somethin new and used, but had to set a lot of previous things in stone in order to get the 10 back i have now to spend....which i guess i could just save/alot a little more but then thats eating more weeks into summer and you are right about inheriting someone elses problems thats why im willing to spend a lil more for the lower hrs on these performance models (i kno used is used and it could have 5hrs on it used and still be full of issues) but i guess its a risk im willing to take. What is your advice on what to look for/listen for, good questions to ask, and things to inspect when looking at one?
    Lower hours doesn't always mean less problems, especially if the ski is older and has sat for long periods of time. I'd say the best thing you could do is buy a used ski that is only a few years old. That is what I have always done and have yet to have any major issue (knock on wood). I've actually made money on every ski I've owned (again, knock on wood).

My buddy works at the local dealership so he will come with me to look at a ski if I'm ever unsure about it. He brings the computer with him and plugs it in to the ECU. It gives me an added piece of mind when I'm buying. That's a situation not most people are in though. You could try and find a friend who knows a thing or two about PWCs and bring them with you. The person who just bought my 2010 GTX 215 had never owned a ski before. He didn't ride it nor did he open the seat and look inside it. I literally could have sold him a hull with no engine and he would have had no idea...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information