2001 Polaris Virage TX has no spark

Hello Everyone. I am at a loss. Ski ran great last year. Did the year end storage prep. Stored indoors no battery. Put the fresh charged battery in this week and it won't start. Cranks good and strong. gets gas and has solid compression. NO SPARK on any cylinder. I pulled open the electrical box and everything looked ok, nothing obviously burned, shorted or melted. The two fuses were good, not blow and I tested them with a multi meter. Battery connections are solid as the crank is strong and the display works fine. Any ideas???? were to start. Seems odd that something would happen while laid up over the winter nice and dry. I looked at the kill switch thinking maybe a short but nothing obvious. Any help would be great.....Thanks.

+1
    emm send off to DFI for repair

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Carburetor engine?

Check battery voltage while the engine is cranking.

See my signature links for related info.

Yes carbureted engine. I did see the other links and just finished the tests as posted on this forum. I did all the tests and am still at a loss. I had what looks like a spliced wire going to power the Cdi. Orange spliced to red/purple at the glass fuse. No power here. I did have an unused red/purple connector coming from the main resettable fuse that had 12 volts. I switched this with the spliced line and now have 12 volts into the CDI. Still no spark. Did the brown wire test. No voltage leaving the CDI. Bad CDI ? Right. I connected a 9 volt to the brown lead going to the stator and still no spark. I put a meter on the high tension wires and when I have the 9volt on the brown and crank I get 13-16 volts FC at the plugs but no spark. Any idea what the voltage needs to be to fire the plugs? I would guess much more than 13v. Is the stator bad? This boat ran fine last year right up to winterization and indoor storage , I can't believe that both the stator and CDI would somehow both go at the same time. Also the prior owner told me that they had a new cdi installed the beginning of the season that I bought it. (I bought at the end of the season when they bought a new boat, they have a cottage just down from mine ) so the CDI is less than 2 yrs old and here in NY we only get 2 months a yr (55 degrees today) so very little time on the unit. What am I missing?

Update

Quote Originally Posted by dfgtye View Post
    Yes carbureted engine. I did see the other links and just finished the tests as posted on this forum. I did all the tests and am still at a loss. I had what looks like a spliced wire going to power the Cdi. Orange spliced to red/purple at the glass fuse. No power here. I did have an unused red/purple connector coming from the main resettable fuse that had 12 volts. I switched this with the spliced line and now have 12 volts into the CDI. Still no spark. Did the brown wire test. No voltage leaving the CDI. Bad CDI ? Right. I connected a 9 volt to the brown lead going to the stator and still no spark. I put a meter on the high tension wires and when I have the 9volt on the brown and crank I get 13-16 volts FC at the plugs but no spark. Any idea what the voltage needs to be to fire the plugs? I would guess much more than 13v. Is the stator bad? This boat ran fine last year right up to winterization and indoor storage , I can't believe that both the stator and CDI would somehow both go at the same time. Also the prior owner told me that they had a new cdi installed the beginning of the season that I bought it. (I bought at the end of the season when they bought a new boat, they have a cottage just down from mine ) so the CDI is less than 2 yrs old and here in NY we only get 2 months a yr (55 degrees today) so very little time on the unit. What am I missing?

Update to above: I did the tests over using a different multi meter. I show about 5 ohm resistance on two of the three spark plug wires ( on the 200k ohm scale) and 0 on the shortest wire. The brown wire out of the CDI is showing 5-6 volts. This is when cranking with a fully charged battery with a charger starter on the battery at 10 amps to keep it fresh. No spark with the 9 volt. Looks like perhaps the stator. However would the CDI power a spark at this lower voltage?

Thread Information