Angry Virage TXI Randomly Stalls

Ok, need some help, long time lurker, First post,

Last year I purchased a 2001 Virage TXI, It was not running, With help from this news group, found issues with EMM, and had DFS repair.

For the most part, ski runs amazing, fast and fun. Problem I have is that the ski will Intermittently Stall.

The only pattern I can see in the Intermittently stalls is this, I run ski for an 30 minutes or longer, we beach for a short break 15 to 30 Minute or so, when break is over, Ski starts up, I ride for 10 Minutes or less and then it will stall, I will try and restart and sometimes, it will restart and never give me any more issues, But other times it will crank over and wont start. I will drift for a few minutes try again, then it will start back up, but as soon as I accelerate, it will stall again, (usually When I get on plane), If I just let it idle it seems that it will run all day. If I continue to try and start it, it will eventually run as if nothing has every happened.

Once the MFD went completely blank for a few minutes, then came back on, all other times MFD is not showing any Warning messages.
    The engine "feels" equally warm, as well as the injectors, the EMM is Cool to touch, with water moving through it and Fuel Pressure is good,

So far this is what I have tried, I replaced Spark Plugs (yes, the Correct NGK PZFR6) Replaced Air TempSensor, replaced TPS, (twice, with the Evenrude TPS part #5001793)
    I have not put the "Ficht EMM trouble codes LED tool". planning on checking this weekend.

Anyone have any ideas? as you can imagine, it is very frustrating.

Oil problem? I had a similar issue on my yamaha. My oil injection took a crap and the pistons swelled up and kept making it stall. Then u let it sit and it started back up... have u done a compression test?

Umm, no, not lately I had checked them last season, and they were good. I will recheck this weekend.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    MFI display going blank points to an electrical issue. May or may not be related to the engine stall problem.

The display itself just needs power and ground. If either the power feed or ground is weak, corroded or has a damaged wire that needs to be tracked down.

Poor grounding in the electrical system can cause all sorts of strange problems.

Be sure to check the circuit breakers (Reset buttons). Sometimes a breaker will crack the plastic housing or become corroded internally.

5. +1 by:

thanks K447, I will check the ground and the CB.

Resident electronics hacker UnityRacing's Avatar
    +1
    First off, you should install a pisser and redirect the EMM cooling water to that so you can see a visual that your cooling system is flowing properly. Make sure you block off the remaining hose at the rear going to the exhaust. I put in a spare bolt and put a hose clamp around it for extra security.

Your MFD could be going bad. I had a bad one that would keep the ski from starting. Took me a few weeks to figure it out, as it worked fine otherwise. And no it wasn't "locked" lol.

Aside from that, ground wires. I would suggest if they have never been replaced, to at least unbolt from the engine side, and scuff everything with a wire brush then reattach.

Be sure to update this thread when you find the issue.

Sorry for the long Delay, been a long hot summer with this Virage.

Short Responses, Cleaned all ground points, replaced both Circuit Breakers, No Change in Stalling symptoms, the Display never went blank again, but it had only did that the onetime….

Compression was good across all three Cylinders.
    No issues with the Oil injector or the MFD.
    No Ficht EMM Codes. (Only one was related to the TPS, and once cleared no other codes)
    Checked Fuel pressure and voltages after it stalled all looked normal.
    At home on trailer checked the Crank Position Sensor Numerous times, it always read below 200 ohms checked stator and related parts, no metal shavings or broken magnets.

At this point at my wits end, conferred with a friend of mine and we went over everything, all voltages, continuity of each wire, and all of the sensor again.

Long story short, the CPS read normally on a cold Motor and engine ran normally, removed Sensor, and dunked it in a Mug of hot water (around 180 to 190 Degrees, did this to simulate a motor that had been running for an hour or more) for a few minutes, enough to heat up CPS.

When heated, the Sensor read “OPEN”, motor would not start, once cooled, it read 140 Ohms or so and engine restarted…

Bought another CPS off of EBay, (was unable to locate a new CPS).

Last weekend finally had a chance to go out and test Ski, No Problems! Ski ran great all week, we ran it about 150 miles over 4 days, with no stalling!

So if your Ficht System is randomly stalling, Try testing the Crank position Sensor (CPS). Work for me.
    Thanks For everyone’s Ideas.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Toneman99 View Post
    ... the CPS read normally on a cold Motor and engine ran normally

... dunked it in a Mug of hot water (around 180 to 190 Degrees, did this to simulate a motor that had been running for an hour or more) for a few minutes, enough to heat up CPS.

When heated, the Sensor read “OPEN”, motor would not start, once cooled, it read 140 Ohms or so and engine restarted…

Bought another CPS ... test Ski, No Problems! Ski ran great all week, we ran it about 150 miles over 4 days, with no stalling!

So if your Ficht System is randomly stalling, Try testing the Crank position Sensor (CPS). Worked for me...
    Thank you for following up!

It really helps us to know how it turned out and what the actual problem resolution was.

Did the bad CPS sensor have any signs of damage on the lower face or at the wires?

Agree with follow up, it is important and may save the next guy a lot of headaches!

No The CPS Looked clean and normal, no obvious signs of damage to Device or Wires.
    As a matter of fact, the used one I got used from EBay looked worse for wear, but worked flawlessly.

Thread Information