Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 RXP Hunt for lost RPMS

So a little background info. My ski is like a RIVA Stage 1.5. It hit 100 hours this past fall and I had the supercharger serviced and then I parked it for winter. Before parked it was hitting a little north of 8100rpm and 73-73.5 GPS. Now after I got it out for summer. Replaced the plugs and checked the oil level I'm sitting around 7300-7550 RPM and some lame ass like 66mph. I checked the wear ring and it looks fine. The oil isn't overfilled. It hasn't had that ECU update with the piggyback harness or whatever. The shop that did the service doesn't have a BUDS system or any of the such. However. I got to looking at my 08 RXT-X impeller and then my RXP's. My RXT-X has the stock impeller. The RXP has a Solas. I'm going to first show a pic of the RXT and then the RXP's. It looks like there is something not tight on the RXPs to me or maybe this is just how the solas props are? Take a look and tell me what you think.

RXT-X

RXP

Now is my intuition wrong is it that green piece not supposed to be against the impeller and not like 2 inches away?

+1
    yes the nose cone has started to ride up the shaft. if i were you pull the pump off and remove the nose cone completely

I was just going to take the intake grate off and tighten it back up and then reinstall the grate. Is this a bad idea?

Also do you think this is where my power is going away at?

Quote Originally Posted by ReactionDt View Post
    I was just going to take the intake grate off and tighten it back up and then reinstall the grate. Is this a bad idea?

Also do you think this is where my power is going away at?
    I would just pull the pump and either reinstall with a little dab of loctite or ditch it completely. This is more than likely where you are losing your speed and RPMs. This is a common occurrence with the Solas nose cones.

Alright I need to replace the wear ring anyway so I'll just go ahead and do that. I can slide the nose cone freely up the shaft with my finger so it's just free loading in there

Installed a new wear ring and put the seal back on with some loctite. I'll report back this weekend and see what this cured. Here's a picture of my old wear ring. Worn down about 1mm

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebigs View Post
    yes the nose cone has started to ride up the shaft. if i were you pull the pump off and remove the nose cone completely
    Its not bad to completely remove this cone? Any benefit in rpm/ speed gain? My RXP is around 7950rpm 70mph (air intake, intake grate, impeller and catch can mods)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ReactionDt View Post
    Alright I need to replace the wear ring anyway so I'll just go ahead and do that. I can slide the nose cone freely up the shaft with my finger so it's just free loading in there
    The threads on the nosecone can be stripped out, and it may not tighten back up.
    If it will tighten back up, then use red loc-tite, and put it back together. It helps to align the D-shaft when re installing the pump.
    It wont hurt to remove it completely, (no speed loss). Your RPMs will come back, but it will be more difficult to re install the pump without a long extension pushing up on the shaft thru the intake grate, during assy.

Do the Solas impellers normally shave off a couple small slim shavings with a new wear ring? Cranked it on the trailer before hitting the water to just make sure everything was in order

+1
    How old are the pump bearings, and has the motor been aligned?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information