Installing a new fender/axle alignment question.

I have a 16' seadoo sportster with a karavan trailer. My tire blew out and ripped off the fender and broke the bracket. I'm replacing with oem parts. When replacing the bracket I put it exactly where the old one was. I decided to measure from the rear support to the axle on both sides and they were off by 1/2 inch. Should I make them the exact same distance? It's never been moved, but I think they didn't mount it straight when they originally put the axle on. Can I just make it the exact same distance from the rear support?
    Last edited by K447; 05-29-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Are you measuring this with the trailer loaded or empty?

When loaded do the two leaf springs sag the same amount, distance from spring to frame above the axle the same on both sides?

Since leaf springs are curved and straighten out when loaded it is important that the axle alignment be correct when the trailer is loaded.

A weak spring will sag more so it will change the axle alignment when loaded. If you have a weak spring then you may need to replace them both so the spring rates are consistent and both springs flex and sag the same amount under load.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Are you measuring this with the trailer loaded or empty?

When loaded do the two leaf springs sag the same amount, distance from spring to frame above the axle the same on both sides?

Since leaf springs are curved and straighten out when loaded it is important that the axle alignment be correct when the trailer is loaded.

A weak spring will sag more so it will change the axle alignment when loaded. If you have a weak spring then you may need to replace them both so the spring rates are consistent and both springs flex and sag the same amount under load.
    Yes it has the boat on it. I didn't even think of a weak leaf spring. I guess I should measure the height. It's 11 years old. Considering the brackets were never moved one probably is sagging.

Thread Information