problem with Yamaha 1100 triple cooling

Hey guys. I have a 96 wave venture 1100. All stock. It runs great. Problem is the cooling. In the water, the pisser take forever for water to come out. Last time out it totally stopped and was intermittent until I got back to the trailer. When I got it home I hook up the garden hose and water flowed nicely from the pisser.....

So, I removed one end of the water hose that goes to the y fitting and blew in it, plugged. This was a few days ago. Tonight, I removed the y fitting which was clear and I blew.....I'm able to blow and can hear/feel water moving. I'm assuming there is some debris in there correct?

My plan is to take compressed air and blow into the pisser and try to push it toward the y fitting which is removed right now. Will this work? Should I blow from the y fitting side instead? Im hoping to not take the exhaust apart. What are your suggestions?

Or is all of that pointless and should I just pull the exhaust? Also, if the intake line and Y fitting are clear, and the pisser flows nice on the hose, why doesn't the pisser flow well when in the water? Last time out it was running great then all of a sudden it went into limp mode. No water would come out of pisser but when i got home and hooked up the garden hose, it seemed to flow and be functioning fine. Also, the sight stream on the rear deck that shoots up is connected but even at full throttle it only shoots up maybe 8 inches at most? Are these problems connected at all?

+1
    I would take the exhaust completely apart.That would be my guess that it it clogged with sand.I had this happen to me a few times in shallow water.Learned my lesson.Good luck.Let us know what you find.

Thanks for the reply gp. I searched the forum for a step by step on exhaust removal for an 1100. No luck. Does anyone have a step by step or know of one available?

+1
    It is a pretty basic breakdown.You to break it down completly. Sand could be everywhere.
    1.There are 4 bolts total on the exhaust listed yamaha. that will remove the bracket.That is the main piece.
    2.slip off #58
    3.remove every thing you see
    4.when you remove #37 you may want to order the gaskets.most likely they will have to be replaced.
    5.There is a small u shaped hose on the yamaha part that most likely will be clogged with sand.

Let me know if you need more help from hear.

http://www.yamahapartsnation.com/oem...2c81/exhaust-1

Do i most likely need to pull the exhaust manifold? Also what number is the u shaped hose your talking about?

Last night I blew threw all hoses, one by one. Air blaster through each opening on the head. Thru the pisser. Out of the exhaust. It seems to be working fine. Should I pull apart or take it to the water one more time to check?

+1
    I would take it all apart man.You dont want to overheat the engine.
    The u-shaped hose i believe is number 46.It is a very small hose and usually gets clogged pretty easy along with where it connects into on both ends.
    number 35,36,37 is what you need to focus on.Pull the exhaust that says yamaha # 39 off.then you will have access to 35-37.
    It is a real easy breakdown.just take your time.
    Does that machine have a overheat sensor on it.If so has it gone off.

+1
    I have some pics from when I took my exhaust apart. Maybe this can help you

+1
    Nice.Cutlass always pulls through!The first picture shows the hose i was talking about.

Thread Information