+1

seadoo 787? ignition

hi all, I have a 1997 gsx 787 I think? all the plugs at the mpem have really corroded, before I look at getting a new loom and mpem im just wondering if anyone has ever bypassed the mpem? whether that's by using a cdi box/ignition controller and coils of something else or similar? any advise would be great. thanks

+1
    Buy an aftermarket mpem or a used one... rigging up some sort of homebrew ignition is a recipe for a bad day on the water. Just my .02... but i am all about keeping these thing RELIABLE.

+1
    Well how about somthing of a kawa or similar? After all at the end if the day its just somthing to collect and dispatch engine information, not worried about the guages or anything. Basicly just want spark and im off

+1
    I would be concerned about getting the correct ignition timing curve, the mpem/cdi on a seadoo does more than "dispatch engine information". It varies the spark timing based on engine RPM, that's it advantage over a simple magneto or a generic CDI, it has a timing curve in it that allows the engine to have the best possible ignition timing throughout all rpm ranges. Basically it make sure it starts and idles good and has power all the way to WOT. It's not just a simple thing that takes information from the pickup and makes a spark at a fixed timing. That's my understanding of it all anyway... Race guys use some aftermarket ignition setups, but it's purchased special to have a better than stock timing curve and they usually are accompanied by other mods and high octane fuel to prevent deto issues.

+1
    Well the basic idea of it is to collect and dispatch engine information depending on running conditions, but other cdi conrollers must basicly do this aswell. Im more interested in If anyone has done it and what they used to do so.

Thread Information