Thread: 01 RX fire

Cap206
    +1

01 RX fire

Hello, I have a 01 rx that got me stumped. Last year i installed new engine and put about 30hr on.My son brings home one afternoon says not running right so i take seat off and crank over.took plugs out to look at and crankover "boom" we have a fire.I blame on spark from plug dangling checking for spark.I clean up mess from fire exstingusher put new plugs in and runs like a dream.Last week get out of storage new batt new fuel starts in 30sec of cranking.Put in water rode 20 min.figured all is good.Son takes out next day rides 30 min. says it died like shut it off.said he cranked for a long time and started up road home and put on trailer. I go over to ski and hit start button and "boom". I take seat off and its on fire.put fire out clean up mess and start looking for problem.i have found no bare pinched or burnt wires in harness .starter wire tight and has boot on same with ground.only thing out of order is 7.5 amp fuse for trim. Any idea's

+1
    fuel leak in haul and a spark of some sort ignited it. 1st, find where the fuel is coming from-- could be from the 1st fire you had-- burned fuel line, most likely the return.

+1
    Id stop letting your son ride it lol. That seams to be the main issue.

+1
    Check the fuel ventilation line. Also if it has been sitting for to much time carburator neadle valves may not seal well and let fuel pass to the cylinders and that may cause back fire.

my .02

Cap206
    +1
    thanks for ideas. I think i may have found a problem.I put all new fuel lines on last year when engine was replaced.When taking apart today i noticed the main fuel line was kind of loose,along with the line that links the carbs.I think gas must have shrunk line making it loose enough to rotate lines on the barbs and probably leaking.The line on the pump side and vents all seem as tight as can be,so i'm guessing fuel sitting in lines soften them.Tomorrow I'll replace all line and clamps and hope for the best.

Cap206
    +1
    Son is always an issue.He could break an anvil with a feather

Thread Information