Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2005 Honda 12fx turbo blew up so I'm looking at a Kawasaki 300x

So my 2005 12fx turbo blew up and I'm in the market for a new or used ski. I primarily ride on my local lake. I'd like to get a ski that has quick acceleration, good top speed (the 12fx did 62mhp with some mods and I'd like to get closer to 65-67mph), and is pretty reliable and that does not require a ton of maintenance. I also can only get 89 octane on the lake. Is the 300x worth considering or should I be looking at another model or possibly a Yamaha FX SVHO. Anything I should stay away from? I'd like to get a supercharged ski if at all possible. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting back on the water!
    Last edited by peter19ue; 05-29-2014 at 07:38 PM. Reason: typo

+1
    89octane rules the 300 out

+1
    The SVHO can not run on 89 fuel either.
    I think you should reconsider your options to the Kawasaki 15F and the Yamaha VXR. Both can run on that fuel and have the most reliable engines on the market. Both skis with minimal mods are near the 70 mph range.

+1
    The 15F and VXR will both get to and surpass the 62 mph mark. The 15F is right around 62 mph. The VXR is around 68 mph.
    A 300 is a great ski that is good all round but I wouldn't run it on 89 if I had a choice, but it probably wouldn't hurt it too bad if you HAD to. Just get gas from a gas station on land if you can.

+1
    DJ, you believe too much what you read about the VXR. That ski has to be modified to run those speeds. I was the radar boat for the Hydrodrags here in Morgan city. A race VXR that won the NA class has two speed alley runs of 63 and 66. Stock for stock the two are very close. Quite a bit more money is needed to get the VXR over 70 and trust me the ski will not last long getting those speeds. Yes I have first hand knowledge of this. You will have to spin it up very high. The 15F can run just as fast with a few mods and still be extremely reliable.

+1
    my petrol car will probably run on diesel and wouldnt hurt too bad. Would i do it? never not even if i had too. the op stated in his first post he can only obtain 89 on the lake so guessing this is a real problem for him. to the op dont even consider running a s/c ski on anything less that what is recommended, believe me it only takes milliseconds to burn a hole right through those pistons.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    DJ, you believe too much what you read about the VXR. That ski has to be modified to run those speeds. I was the radar boat for the Hydrodrags here in Morgan city. A race VXR that won the NA class has two speed alley runs of 63 and 66. Stock for stock the two are very close. Quite a bit more money is needed to get the VXR over 70 and trust me the ski will not last long getting those speeds. Yes I have first hand knowledge of this. You will have to spin it up very high. The 15F can run just as fast with a few mods and still be extremely reliable.
    Really? Wow. Sorry about that. So it's nearly the same as the 15F speed wise?

8. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    my petrol car will probably run on diesel and wouldnt hurt too bad. Would i do it? never not even if i had too. the op stated in his first post he can only obtain 89 on the lake so guessing this is a real problem for him. to the op dont even consider running a s/c ski on anything less that what is recommended, believe me it only takes milliseconds to burn a hole right through those pistons.
    I meant just enough to get it back to the trailer/dock. Don't fill the tank with it. Put 91+ Octane before you take it out again

Would 89 octane and octane booster work. Would really like to stick with a supercharged ski.

+1
    I replied to your thread in the other section about this.
    My reply is no. I do not believe you would be safe. I would not do it in my ski and would never recommend it to anyone else.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information