Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2005 Honda 12fx turbo blew up so I'm looking at a Yamaha FX SVHO

So my 2005 12fx turbo blew up and I'm in the market for a new or used ski. I primarily ride on my local lake. I'd like to get a ski that has quick acceleration, good top speed (the 12fx did 62mhp with some mods and I'd like to get closer to 65-67mph), and is pretty reliable and that does not require a ton of maintenance. I also can only get 89 octane on the lake. Is the FX SVHO worth considering or should I be looking at another model or possibly a Kawasaki. I was also considering a Kawasaki 300x. Anything I should stay away from? I'd like to get a supercharged ski if at all possible. Thanks for the input. Looking forward to getting back on the water!

+1
    How did it blow up

+1
    A Kawi 300x has a slightly better holeshot than the svho. The yammi has a better top speed by 1-2 mph. They both drink high octane but 89 shouldn't be too bad for it if you HAVE to put it in there. The 300 will be much better when it gets rough and will be able to sustain much more abuse in rough waters. The yamaha can get 80 mph with very few mods. The 300 has storage to pack your suitcase and then some while the yammi storage can hold a sandwich and a wallet.

+1
    the SVHO will have plenty of get up and go. Only thing is it requires premium fuel. I know guys that run with rec 90 (no ethanol) and do not have an issue, but what is the 89 that you will have access to? and at what altitude?

Also remember the kawi will drink a lot more fuel

Thanks for the info. First time my buddy rode it with the drain plug out and the engine hydro locked. I put in a sbt motor and now the rings are shot. I'd like to get something a little quicker and it's getting harder and harder to get parts since they don't make Hondas anymore.

I ride at sea level and the 89 octane fuel is from the marina. Would the Yamaha be more reliable and require less maintenance than the Kawi. I'd like something with a lot of holeshot. I primarily ride on a lake so its not that rough. Does the Yamaha use a lot less gas.

+1
    The yamaha is extremely reliable and on the lake it would be perfect. The new SVHO is very fuel efficient when cruising does better than the previous year SHO. Now if you are WOT the whole time doing 70-80mph you will use up fuel quick, but that is the same on the kawi. And if you get the full yamaha yes warranty you will be covered for 5 years.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by peter19ue View Post
    Would the Yamaha be more reliable and require less maintenance than the Kawi.
    Yes, more reliable and less maintenance. We have over 250 hours each on two of the FZ's with zero mechanical issues. For a lake application you want the FZR or FZS; the new SVHO's have massive internal upgrades; it's the best PWC engine on the water. Don't let anyone fool you; for speed, that is the baddest beast for the lake and as Jerry proved, you can easily get it over 80 mph with just a tune and few parts. In other words, when you get the itch for big speed later, you will find the Yamaha to be a very open-ended system, whereas you will "hit the wall" on the Ultra at about 75-76 mph. Best thing is set up a test ride with a dealer and try them out to see which one suits you better. Here are three links you may enjoy...

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...urs+perfection

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213118

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=210923

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the Yamaha might be a better option. Could I run a 2014 SVHO on 89 fuel. That's all the marina has. What is the main difference between the FX and FZ? Now I just need so see if I can get a good deal on a 2014!

+1
    Everyone keeps stating how easy it is to get the new FZR SVHO over 80 yet the stock class top speeds of the one that won on flat glass here in Morgan city speed alley of Hydrodrags which I was the radar boat so I witnessed it had speeds of 80&81. If so easy wouldn't the speeds have been higher? The reports of these crazy high speeds are only on the internet where it is easy to claim but impossible to prove. The drags with a radar gun is official enough to make a world record stick. To me that is reality. If these guys who make money doing this are not getting the claimed skis I know it is not at all common. The FX was only 78&81. I am not saying the 300/310 can get to those 80 speeds as easily as the FZR but the real world speeds are much closer that the internet likes to make people believe. I don't mind comparisons and I really like the SVHO but being involved in the sport the way I am I see the real performance levels of the pro's skis.

+1
    My bet is it would run on 89 with the factory tune, you could also just throw in a bottle of amsoil octane boost on each fill up and is only about $7 a bottle.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information