2002 TX 1200 Virage no spark issue...

Hi all,
    I got the engine back together in the TX a few months back and finally got around to throwing a battery in it and prepping it for the river. However, upon not starting, I checked it out to find it had no spark. I held the bilge switch in, and of course it now had spark. My lr 505 module arrived in the mail today, so I took my time installing it tonight only to find that it still acts exactly the same as before. My question is though, I noticed while installing it that the back with yellow and the black with white wires are switched in the order that they come out of the module itself. (I was unplugging one wire at a time and noticed this difference as I was plugging the new module in wire by wire) So, before I begin a thorough diagnostic test on this one, what would happen if the two black-striped wires were switched? It's a Chinese made module from ebay (trying to be frugal) and am concerned that the wire colors may have been switched accidentally when it was made. Battery is new, cranking volts are above 11, connections appear sound. I can't seem to find any threads on this so any help would be sincerely appreciated....

Tracy

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    I have yet to hear from enough buyers of these aftermarket LR modules to know whether they actually work properly.

Is the module you have made by JSP?

Not sure who manufactured it, I just noticed a white "Made in China" sticker on it. My first plan of attack is to remove the ground wires and thoroughly clean the eyelets and contact point to the block. It's something I neglected to do when I assembled it not realizing how critical the voltage is on the domestic engines. Other than that, I'm going to go through the trouble shooting you've suggested in other threads, and if all else fails, go through the diagnostics in the service manual.

Tracy

+1
    The Polaris LR modules all work the same way in regards to the Orange wire portion.

When the LR module detects AC voltage on the Yellow wire the LR module is supposed to switch on and provide battery power to the Orange wire.

The Start button makes the engine crank, the rotating magneto energizes Yellow and wakes up the LR module. The LR module then powers up the Orange circuit. The Orange wire feeds battery power into the CDI and the CDI in turn wakes up and starts firing spark plugs.

The Yellow wire comes from the battery charging coil in the magneto stator. When the engine is rotating, even just cranking, the Yellow wire is supposed to have AC voltage.

When the engine is not running and not cranking the Yellow wire should have full battery voltage. Check that this is present at the Yellow wire into the LR module when the engine is still.

The other requirements are that the LR module be properly grounded through the Black wire, and that full battery voltage always be present on the Red/Purple wire into the LR module.

If all the above conditions are correct and the LR module is not providing full battery voltage on Orange when the engine is cranking then the LR module is not working as expected.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2111.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	330837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2112.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	330838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2113.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	107.0 KB 
ID:	330839Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2114.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	85.9 KB 
ID:	330840

Thanks to K447 (TY Keith) I believe I found the "golden nugget" in terms of why the old 1200 had no spark. After showing all the symptoms of a bad LR module, I went through the step by step process as outlined by K447 above. When I tested the yellow wire, I found the voltage to be .5v less than full voltage as seen on the red/purple wire and directly to the battery. Upon cranking it with my multimeter on AC volts, it was only showing .03 volts. I unplugged the main lead from the stator to the ebox to find that the male pins from the red and the yellow wires were corroded to the point of being almost gone entirely. I'm going to rummage through my parts tomorrow to try and find a connector with pins that I can rob and install on this one rather than simply splicing some connectors in and hacking up the harness. Will keep you posted on updates. Here are some pics of the Chinese LR 505 module and the corroded connector....

Tracy

SUCCESS!!! Just to follow up it was indeed the pin connectors between the stator and the ebox. A couple of the male pins had broken off inside the females due to corrosion on an otherwise mint condition watercraft. It had the symptoms of a bad lr505 module, and would spark with the bilge button pressed while cranking. Trouble shooting it would have saved me $40, and I still don't know if the Chinese lr module works as I placed the old one back in out of frustration last night prior to finding the broken connector pins. Thanks again for the help K447 and have a GREAT weekend!

Tracy

PS: This is the same Virage that I thought I had finished in March ("Mmmm....Toasty" thread) with the missing head gasket O-ring from SBT. (Total catastrophy, after the head melted through, water entered the crankcase and completely destroyed the entire engine) It was nice to finally inhale the sweet fumes of assembly lube while watching the huge blue billowing cloud slowly roll out the door of the garage.....

Banned User
    +1
    You can buy replacement pins from Batts Racing. They are really cheap.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by HU112BU View Post
    SUCCESS!!! Just to follow up it was indeed the pin connectors between the stator and the ebox. A couple of the male pins had broken off inside the females due to corrosion on an otherwise mint condition watercraft. It had the symptoms of a bad lr505 module, and would spark with the bilge button pressed while cranking. Trouble shooting it would have saved me $40, and I still don't know if the Chinese lr module works as I placed the old one back in out of frustration last night prior to finding the broken connector pins. Thanks again for the help K447 and have a GREAT weekend!

Tracy

PS: This is the same Virage that I thought I had finished in March ("Mmmm....Toasty" thread) with the missing head gasket O-ring from SBT. (Total catastrophy, after the head melted through, water entered the crankcase and completely destroyed the entire engine) It was nice to finally inhale the sweet fumes of assembly lube while watching the huge blue billowing cloud slowly roll out the door of the garage.....

Indeed, I am lakeside and looking forward to riding Sunday and Monday. First ride of the season for us!

Thread Information