Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Any tips for a newbie unloading a double place pwc trailer?

For the last 3 years I've kept my skis on drive on docks at a marina and only put them in and out a single time per season. My buddy always helped me do it but we weren't that good at it, and we always did it on a weekday at a quiet ramp. The first time I ever put them in I ended up smacking the two skis together and put a nice gouge in my one ski that had to be repaired. This year my gf and I would like to trailer them around to a few different lakes but I'm anxious about doing so at a crowded ramp.

+1
    Best to get a experienced person to show ya the ropes. Also different ramps might mean different techniques. Maybe not so much at lakes, but in my area no two ramps are the same.

I am having trouble picturing that kinda damage unless you were under power. Should not power tne skis on tne trailer untill you are extremly comfterble with handling in low speed situations. If your skis were flooting off the bunks and hitting each other you were way too far in the water. Most trailers (not all) are usally backed in far enough just as the fenders go under water.

That's what happened, trailer went in far enough to float both skis. It is a bunk trailer. The only ramp I've ever launched at is an old poorly maintained public launch ramp with a beat up old dock and a steep entry. The ramps at the lake I'd like to trailer too are a lot wider and a much more gradual slope.

So I should just back util the fenders just go under water, then power the skis off? Our current practice is I get on a ski while it's on the trailer, then my buddy backs me in the water until it floats, then I reverse off. To load, I guess I power load them, we don't back the trailer in as deep, I get rested on the bunks then give it some throttle to to get snugged up. I'm thinking there's got to be a better way, but this has worked for us for the last three years.

Banned User
    +1
    Keep ropes in the ski to clip onto the bow eye. Get the trailer in the water deep enough to barely float the skis. Clip on the rope and push the ski off. FOr relaoding, put the rope back on and float the ski part way onto the bunks and winch it on the rest of the way. These are sub 1000 pound skis, not yachts. Driving on the trailer to me is lazy and foolish. Too much can go wrong.

5. +1 by:

+1
    I always back in just far enough to have water on the back third of the ski or so and push it off by hand. If it wont move my wife is already in the drivers seat by then and I have her just back it up a little bit more until the ski pushes off the trailer. No need to ever drive off or on the trailer IMO.

7. +1 by:

+1
    Basicaly, you should be able to push the skis off by hand with some effort. If you cant move them wothout power you are causing uneeded wear. Fendors just covered with water is typical in my experience, but may very with each set up.

Because of the site I launch (I beach launch mostly) it is usally not easy to move ski to trailer by hand so I do indeed drive on My trailer. However only far enough so the ski is planted there, then winch the rest of the way. Usally less than a foot. I dont like powering all the way to bow stop, as it is a potential for uneeded wear and damage.

+1
    Should also mention, I have two totally differnt skis on my trailer, gp1200 and suv. The suv is sitting a little higher and needs more water, so I let the trailer kinda turn a little at the last min so that side is in deeper water, at a realy tight ramp where that cant work, I either split tje difference if I am in a hurry, or move a little after unlaoding one ski.

I should have mentioned that I have a 2010 Yamaha FX SHO and FZS. Both big, heavy, 3 seater skis. I definitely don't like driving on the trailer, so all of these tips are appreciated. Another downfall to my current ramp is it is very slippery, walking anywhere around the ramp that is under water is akin to walking on a skating rink and feels very dangerous. I'd take riding the trailer to walking around the water at that particular ramp any day.

I really like the attach a rope to the bow idea.

+1
    I guess the key is to take your time. I recommend the 4' airhead bungee dock line for a quick and easy way to secure your pwc to the dock. It beats messing around with long tangled traditional lines. Make sure to leave the wench strap on the bow eye until you are ready to push the ski off the trailer. Personally I am more comfortable riding my ski off the trailer than pulling it off with dock line. This is because I don't feel like waiting for a spot next to the dock to open at my ramp and will just launch in the middle and idle over to the dock to tie up. So I...

- back up until trailer fenders are almost in water
    - detach wench from bow eye
    - push ski back a little bit, climb on, reverse off trailer
    - idle over to dock and tie up with bungee
    - repeat for second ski or go park car.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crvtt771 View Post
    I should have mentioned that I have a 2010 Yamaha FX SHO and FZS. Both big, heavy, 3 seater skis. I definitely don't like driving on the trailer, so all of these tips are appreciated. Another downfall to my current ramp is it is very slippery, walking anywhere around the ramp that is under water is akin to walking on a skating rink and feels very dangerous. I'd take riding the trailer to walking around the water at that particular ramp any day.

I really like the attach a rope to the bow idea.
    My brother has a 300x...talk about heavy especially when fully fueled. He added some bunk glides and they work great.

Link

Link

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information