Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2004 Polaris Virage I wont start twice

I have a 2004 Polaris Virage I with just over 100 hrs on it. I can start it and ride it around and it will run great, problem is as soon as you shut it off you can't seem to start it again. Doesn't seem to matter if you let it run for 10 minutes or 10 seconds, as soon as you shut it off you can't start it again. If I prime it with a little gas then it will start again and will continue to run fine. I have checked with a number of dealers and nobody is even willing to look at it, any help is greatly appreciated.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Check the injector voltage on White/Red wire with all injectors plugged in. Black meter probe to engine ground.

It should generate over 20 volts DC when the engine is cranking. I suspect the injector voltage is weak when it does not want to start.

If injector voltage is indeed weak then that usually means the EMM needs repair.

I checked the voltage at the injectors and its only 7-8 volts when cranking so I'm guessing that's my problem. I had a fuel delivery problem that ended up being the fuel pump but I had sent my EMM to DFI last fall and they said it was just fine. I've only ran the machine for 1 hour since so is it still most likely the EMM or what else can I test to try and isolate the problem.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kabekona View Post
    I checked the voltage at the injectors and its only 7-8 volts when cranking so I'm guessing that's my problem. I had a fuel delivery problem that ended up being the fuel pump but I had sent my EMM to DFI last fall and they said it was just fine. I've only ran the machine for 1 hour since so is it still most likely the EMM or what else can I test to try and isolate the problem.
    After you run the engine, how long must it sit before it will next start without fuel priming?

Just on a hunch, unplug and bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module. See if the engine now starts reliably.

It has actually has gotten to the point where it won't start at all with out being primed. Before it usually had to sit half hour to an hour. I tried unplugging the start stop module and bypassed that but it still would not start.

Banned User
    +1
    Then you have a stator or emm problem.

I've had my EMM checked out and fixed but was told that there was also possibly something wrong with the stator as well. How should I go about testing my stator to verify that is bad before I just throw a new stator at it?

+1
    I've had my EMM checked out and fixed but was told that there was also possibly something wrong with the stator as well.

How should I go about testing my stator to verify that is bad before I just throw a new stator at it?
    If the EMM was actually repaired, does the engine now run properly?

If yes, stator is good.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    I've had my EMM checked out and fixed but was told that there was also possibly something wrong with the stator as well.

How should I go about testing my stator to verify that is bad before I just throw a new stator at it?

If yes, stator is good.
    EMM was repaired but it still does not start. Does this fact alone imply that the stator is bad or is there something I should still do to test it?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post

If yes, stator is good.
    EMM was repaired but it still does not start. Does this fact alone imply that the stator is bad or is there something I should still do to test it?
    Bypass the LR-503 Start/Stop module, for testing. Just in case it is causing trouble.

Check voltage on White/Red wires while engine is cranking. Voltage should be over 20 volts when vs cranking, with all fuel injectors plugged in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information