Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

94 Polaris SL650 bogging????

Hello All,
    Looking for some info.

History>>>Was running awesome last year until it was capsized upside down. Turned it back the correct way. It fired right back up with no issue. Shut it down and ever since it has had a bogging issue. Can go fuel throttle but anything less that 3/4 or so dies. Sometimes it will restart others times not until I pull the plugs. Have 118 lbs across all three jugs.

Last week I installed the triple fuel pump on it, fuel lines are good, clean, new fuel filter.Took to lake but still has a mid range bogging issue. I just took off the carbs to do the rebuild. Also, picked up some reeds for it but the intake manifold is clean as a whistle.

Would there be back spray in them if the reeds are bad? I did not notice any bad back spray out of the carbs when I it was running. The gas spray looked good into each carb.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    Hello All,
    Looking for some info.

History>>>Was running awesome last year until it was capsized upside down. Turned it back the correct way. It fired right back up with no issue. Shut it down and ever since it has had a bogging issue. Can go fuel throttle but anything less that 3/4 or so dies. Sometimes it will restart others times not until I pull the plugs. Have 118 lbs across all three jugs.

Last week I installed the triple fuel pump on it, fuel lines are good, clean, new fuel filter.Took to lake but still has a mid range bogging issue. I just took off the carbs to do the rebuild. Also, picked up some reeds for it but the intake manifold is clean as a whistle.

Would there be back spray in them if the reeds are bad? I did not notice any bad back spray out of the carbs when I it was running. The gas spray looked good into each carb.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

you will get the help you need no doubt. have you rebuilt the carbs with Genuine Mikuni kits? if not, this is first priority.

+1
    Hello all fellow Polaris owners.

I have all the carbs rebuilt with Mikuni kits, with new needles and seats. verified the hi/low speed jets are what the manual has listed for my serial number on the engine and also set the high/low adjusters to the manual specs and sync the carbs. New fuel filter and lines along with the triple outlet fuel pump. Replaced the reeds while I was in there. Did not install everything because I am still waiting for my gasket kit for the intake to come. While I still have it apart I would like to do a leak down test. Should I use pressure or vacuum? If i have a leak I would have to add some pressure with some soap bubbles to find it correct?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jajardas View Post
    Hello all fellow Polaris owners.

I have all the carbs rebuilt with Mikuni kits, with new needles and seats. verified the hi/low speed jets are what the manual has listed for my serial number on the engine and also set the high/low adjusters to the manual specs and sync the carbs. New fuel filter and lines along with the triple outlet fuel pump. Replaced the reeds while I was in there. Did not install everything because I am still waiting for my gasket kit for the intake to come. While I still have it apart I would like to do a leak down test.

Should I use pressure or vacuum?

If i have a leak I would have to add some pressure with some soap bubbles to find it correct?
    Soap bubble method for finding leaks requires positive air pressure, not vacuum.

Do not over pressurize the engine, just a few PSI is enough for testing.

The tricky part is getting the engine intake and exhaust properly sealed for the test.

+1
    I saw somewhere on this site someone used rackett balls. I am going totry that.

Thanks.
    JJ

+1
    Carbs are installed with new reeds on the SL650. Starts right up. Going to try to put it into the water this weekend after the SLT 750 is back together so I can attempt to adjust the carbs on both.

+1
    Both the 94 SL 650 and 95 slt 750 are back together, Carbs rebuilt, triple fuel pump, 115 to 120 lbs in each cylinders, pop off pressure in spec, return fuel line restrictor in place and I confirmed the jets are correct from the manual and high and low were set to the manual when I started. I took them both to the lake and kept them on the trailer in an attempt to adjust the carbs. They both start and idle at around 1100 RPM's. While idling if I mash on the throttle they will stall and die. If i feather the throttle i can get both to 6500ish RPM's. All three cylinders on each are running because I can feel heat on each of them and if I remove the plugs they are dry. So is this a low speed adjustment setting or high speed adjustment setting? I do not know if I am rushing the adjustments I was making and not letting the system catch up to them or not. Any suggestions that I can try?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    What carb settings do you currently have for each motor?

+1
    The94 SL 650 son 94-02011+ is 90 main jet, 1 turn on low high m=7/8 c = 1/2 p = 3/4
    750 1/2 low high m=1 c=1/2 p= 3/4.
    Is what the sender polaris service book said. I will double check but I think that is where I started.. thanks for the quick reply.

Banned User
    +1
    I ended up going to 77.5 low jets on my 650 and it ran perfectly after that

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information