Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: My 310R Diary

+1

My 310R Diary

Starting this thread to capture my thoughts etc, not aimed at anything in particular.
    24/05/2014, Removed ski from crate - Thanks to Action Sports for letting me do this. First brand new ski so really wanted to do all the little tidbits myself. Ski is going to be raced in Stock class so can't do anything that will put me out of this - NZ rules, this includes remaps are allowed, no extra inputs(ie SCOM) and no timing alteration allowed - goodbye R&D remap. I think there is a way around this though - over there in the land of spiders, snakes and crocodiles.

• Fitted handlebars in full forward and upright extension (spacers ontop) - felt quite good sitting on the ski but still little low when standing.
    • Removed recall plate
    • Trimmed one front intake hose so that it sits just above the intake trumpet.
    • Trimmed the rear hoses
    • Total about 1.5m of air intake hose has been removed to date.
    • Anti-seize on plugs.
    • Fitted battery and tender quick fit cable - Dialectric grease on connections
    • Removed supercharger cover
    • Went over all nuts/bolts/hose clamps I could access - nothing found loose, very happy.
    • Sprayed everything with Lanogaurd (NZ lanolin based product)
    • Looked up intake - looks nice and smooth, no excess silicon
    • Tightened blow off valve/bypass valve spring.
    • Fitted ODI grips
    • Seat has a small hole in it, L/H side at the lowest point (found whilst still in crate). I have seen another 310R with the same exact thing. Warranty claim under way.

25/05/2014
    Went out for run in - painfull! Sitting on the ski at these speeds let me play around with all the buttons etc. So different coming from a 15F where all you have is a start, stop and throttle.
    I really like the 5knot button, & cruise control. Trim is awesome.
    Did about 80 mins by the time we had stopped and had a natter in the middle of the harbor. Mate on his 300X was with me and I was so tempted to run it beside him but really didn't want to do anything that Kawi might not honor warranty for.

01/06/2014
    Finally got to get back out on the water, life getting in the way. Finished the break-in as per the manual then let her rip.
    Fast! I've spent a bit of time on a 300X but I don't think acceleration like this will ever get old!
    Mine has the ECU problem, will pull 7800-7900 consistently (spiking 8050) then a few seconds later drop back to 7180. Amazing how much slower it feels. No problems, my dealer and I all ready working on this.
    Spent time out in the ocean - this thing is so easy to ride fast it does scare you! Riding at a speed that my 15F would have me working very hard was really easy - sitting down even. Standing up and pinning it ended up in a few scary moments with my feet lifting - wedges are on the list! Ski rides so nice, and fly's straight.

On the way back up the harbor I played a little with marker bouys etc for cc turns. So far, it doesn't feel as precise as my 15F (Beach house sponsons/R&D grate). Not sure if that's real or just my perception given that I was arriving at the turn so much faster. Love the fact it doesn't loose rpm around the turn. Played with trim, need wedges to really give it the hammer I reckon.
    Might look at turf on the body work where my knees are - could be a good grip area.

Spent some time cruising back to the ramp - playing with cruise control. New fuel usage rate on dash is great. @ 55km/hr it told me I was using 23l/hr. Read the same in normal & ECO modes. Full throttle it reads over 100l/hr then settles back to about 96l/hr!
    Done for the day - home and a clean up. Our water here sucks - very high silica levels leave water spots all over my lovely black hull.

• Leaf blower on the list.
    • I have a mates APDesigns wedges from his SXR. I really like the look of these compared to the hydroturf/eva foam type. Going to try and make some that have the polished look of these.
    • Need to add the extra seal to the front storage bucket - small amount of water in there.
    • Front of seat moves side to side. Don't notice it riding but I might try to do something about it.

+1
    Great write up and thank you for sharing this experience.

+1
    Thanks GL, it really is just pulling together the ideas etc I have learnt from everyone on this forum. I haven't enough experience with this platform (yet) to really offer anything new, but hope to give back when I can.

Thank-you contributors: Waz, GL, Tommy, Corey, Spooling, Meangreenman, Sean, Jerry!!!!, Mal, eel, Skip etc - some really awesome info hidden in the depths of this forum. It's sometimes a bit cryptic but you read enough and the dots eventually join together!

Self Confessed Day Dreamer toomanytoys's Avatar
    +1
    Riva Sponsons make turning more neutral (not so much on the nose, the rear stays connected now).

Check, and tighten your rear (main) seat post too. Mine and a mates come loose after a few hours of rough water riding. His one actually fell off into the hull, lucky I caught mine in time.

Have fun.

+1
    Thanks Mal, checked and both were all good.

Removed warning stickers.

I like the seat, the bolster behind you is great, although maybe it could have been slightly higher/harder. This would undo the recreational side of the ski though.

Hull appears to drain really well. Virtually no water in it after wash and leaving the nose up to dry. My 15F would still have plenty of water that i used to suck out with my oil extractor.

Things I want to remember:
    • Lucky13 pump cone
    • Extra Air intake opposite fuel filler (not stock legal). Use a normal hull entry fitting with hose.
    • Unbolt speedo wheel once ecu sorted than see where I'm at GPS (will still be rpm limited)
    • Maybe try 260X steering nozzle? Think I saw this somewhere but don't remember where. I know on pwcoffshore they have a photo and brief writeup of an extended 300X nozzle.
    • Wedge - 1* (R&D) or 2*(K speed)

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    Thanks Mal, checked and both were all good.

Removed warning stickers.

I like the seat, the bolster behind you is great, although maybe it could have been slightly higher/harder. This would undo the recreational side of the ski though.

Hull appears to drain really well. Virtually no water in it after wash and leaving the nose up to dry. My 15F would still have plenty of water that i used to suck out with my oil extractor.

Things I want to remember:
    • Lucky13 pump cone
    • Extra Air intake opposite fuel filler (not stock legal). Use a normal hull entry fitting with hose.
    • Unbolt speedo wheel once ecu sorted than see where I'm at GPS (will still be rpm limited)
    • Maybe try 260X steering nozzle? Think I saw this somewhere but don't remember where. I know on pwcoffshore they have a photo and brief writeup of an extended 300X nozzle.
    • Wedge - 1* (R&D) or 2*(K speed)
    i have tried this so I wanted to give you my results. You can test if you have one but don't spend the money to buy a 250 steering nozzle. It lakes the ski harder to turn and will make your arms tired quicker. Reason is the nozzle is longer this you are fighting more thrust. I actually change the 250/260s that I set up for people to the
    300 nozzle or cut it to 300 length. Not good for closed course at all.
    They allow the pump changes there in stock class? In IJSBA rules we can not add the wedge or change the cone. I do use the Lucky 13 cone for recreation riding and love it. I wish I could use it for racing.
    For the steering I use the farthing with Rox Speed risers. CC set up.
    I use farthing sponsons. They are the same backing plate and blade shape as Riva but are much thinner and stronger since they are alloy. Riva blades are plastic.
    R&D plate
    Stock grate
    leave the waste gate hose run to the air intake.
    As far as your bucket seal issue, just take the bucket out and pull the black rubber plug our the bottom of the storage area. That water will drain into the hull and get sucked out. Removing the bucket lower your weight.
    This is what I have done

7. +1 by:

GZA

+1
    id be careful with that front hose trimmed above the intake, usually you only need to take a few hundred mm off the ends so it doesnt jam up against the hull. as for the leaking bucket just add the same tape to the top lip of the bucket as whats under it.

+1
    Hey GZA - Nice write-up. I hardly ever "venture" over here into the "Projects Section".

As for the wet front storage bucket - here's a pic of what I did - that the guys recommended to me - and it certainly helps:

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...=1#post2052114

Congrats on your new "BA" Kawasaki Ultra-310R

+1

Will this fix it?:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	new ecu.jpg 
Views:	341 
Size:	95.5 KB 
ID:	331121

Numbers on old ECU: 21175-0868
    Numbers on new ECU: 21175-0954

New one is fitted, will have to wait to test though

+1
    Crappy weather here. Sean mentioned that the mounting holes were the same on the STX and Ultra for sponsons so I sat my STX Beach House ones on the side. Don't look that great in white (and with the old rusty marks!), but will try them(one day soon hopefully) to see how it handles with them.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach house on 310R.jpg 
Views:	554 
Size:	134.9 KB 
ID:	331647

12. +1 by:

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information