Vibration in shaft ?

I had my 2003 GTX (95 hours) in the water today and after an hour of riding smooth, I felt a couple of hard ticks from the hull, almost like I hit something, and then it rapidly developed a very grindy vibration that got worse the more I ran it. I ended up towing it in, just to be safe.

I didn't pick anything up. The impeller and and wear ring look good, but I think I can indeed see a gap in the wear ring. I can push on the shaft from the intake grate, and get a bit of play, but I can do almost the same thing on my other GTX, and its fine.

Where do I start first? Pull the whole pump? I want a better performing impeller anyway.

Could this be the carbon seal? I'll dive into the schematics shortly and see what bearings are involved. It really feels like a bearing that went out somewhere. This particular boat has had "whirring" sound coming from the hull for quite some time. It was smooth, but had a sound like something was tight.

Also, maybe its worth mentioning that I have been getting about 6900 - 7000 rpms out of it, and that had me wondering before it blew whatever it blew on the drive train.

Thanks in advance.

+1
    I bet something is in the pump, jamed between the impeller and wear ring. I know you said you don't see anyting but i think there is something in there. Pull the pump anyway, cause you will be checking your bearings in the pump.

+1
    The driveshaft strips at the impeller on these ski. Give that area a good inspection. May need driveshaft and new impeller.

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    probably blew the pump bearing and lost the prop (stripped) in the process..

First, thanks for you guys taking the time to respond to a newb. I don't mind turning wrenches, but have never been into any PWC before. Always cars and bikes.

Anyway, the pump bearing is destroyed. Broken bearings everywhere. The good news is that I don't think anything stripped. The shaft looks perfect. When I removed the nose cone, there was water in the bearings. I am guessing that it was supposed to be full of grease, but not water.
    Anyway, attached is a pic. Should I take this into somebody to be fixed/rebuilt, or should I just buy a whole new upgraded pump? I don't really want to split hairs on cost, and if there is a better prop/pump to be had, I would rather put a better one back in. I am sure this has been discussed on the forum. I'll look around.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (68).jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	136.2 KB 
ID:	331069

+1
    You can just buy the rebuild kit. No need to ditch and spend on a new pumpif it's in great shape. Get some new orings for the cone too. Then, use gear oil instead of grease. Lubes bearings better.

+1
    You are lucky it didn't sink.

Friends 04 GTX trashed the pump bearings a few years ago when they really let go nothing holds the impeller in place so it pushes the driveshaft forward into the PTO which leaves a big gap at the carbon ring and it takes on water fast. Good reason to install a bilge pump. He kept riding for a few minutes trying to get to shore and the motor quit we think because the thrust bearings on the crank were gone. He got a nice new GTR out of the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by canuck View Post
    You are lucky it didn't sink.

Friends 04 GTX trashed the pump bearings a few years ago when they really let go nothing holds the impeller in place so it pushes the driveshaft forward into the PTO which leaves a big gap at the carbon ring and it takes on water fast. Good reason to install a bilge pump. He kept riding for a few minutes trying to get to shore and the motor quit we think because the thrust bearings on the crank were gone. He got a nice new GTR out of the experience.
    I must be ok right ? When I put it on the tailor and pulled the plugs, there was hardly a drop of water.

Isn't there some sort of bilge system on these anyway? I see little things in the bottom of the hull that look like intake feet for a bilge. The tubing is clear.

+1
    Sounds like you caught it in time rebuild the pump and you should be OK.

The bailer system uses the the venturi effect from the exit nozzle to siphon water out of the bilge this works when you are moving at a decent speed. If you leave the ski floating at anchor or have a major component failure they are useless. After our experience a few years ago I installed electric bilge pumps in both my machines they might be the difference between sinking a ski and making it to shore worst case they will buy you time to deal with the problem.

Thread Information