98 Sea Doo XP Limited will not restart if turned off

I'm new to the forum, and I just purchased a 98 Sea Doo XP Limited. It starts up without a moments hesitation on the trailer. It starts without hesitation when we back it into the water. It runs like a champ for as long as I want to ride. Matter of fact, I rode for over an hour today. But.... After riding it, if I turn it off, even for a minute, it will not restart. It turns over and turns over and turns over, but won't start. So, we load it on the trailer, take it home, and it fires up at the touch of the start button the next morning. I can even take it to the lake and ride for the day. As long as I never shut it off..... Bought a brand new battery and it didn't make a difference. This makes no sense at all to me. This ski runs AWESOME and is FAST. No lagging, no rough idle, nothing. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be??

+1
    Sounds like a heat related issue. Check spark next time it will not crank. Also, have you tried disconnecting the negative and reconnecting when it is not starting to see if something is not reseting.

Replace the needle and seats in the carbs

same issue!

Quote Originally Posted by Starliteshimmer View Post
    I'm new to the forum, and I just purchased a 98 Sea Doo XP Limited. It starts up without a moments hesitation on the trailer. It starts without hesitation when we back it into the water. It runs like a champ for as long as I want to ride. Matter of fact, I rode for over an hour today. But.... After riding it, if I turn it off, even for a minute, it will not restart. It turns over and turns over and turns over, but won't start. So, we load it on the trailer, take it home, and it fires up at the touch of the start button the next morning. I can even take it to the lake and ride for the day. As long as I never shut it off..... Bought a brand new battery and it didn't make a difference. This makes no sense at all to me. This ski runs AWESOME and is FAST. No lagging, no rough idle, nothing. Does anyone have any idea what the issue might be??
    I am not trying to hijack the thread, but hoping to hear a response. I'm had this EXACT issue today with my 2001 GTX RFI today. If it runs for a bit, don't stop it or it won't restart. Ive spent last 3 hrs searching and only thing ive found is rectifier issues frequently with my type ski. I'm going to check battery voltage when running in the morning to ensure. But I hope someone can help you and maybe me. I'm so confused because I've read so many forum posts.

+1
    Have you tried putting a little petrol/oil mix down the spark plug holes when it "won't start" - could be an issue with petrol evaporation when hot - worth a try

I had the same problem on my 96 gtx, cleaned ground and batt connections and it seem to be it. starts right up again every time. won't hurt to give it a try. pay attention to the ground wires had a lot of acid build up under the wire covers.

Thread Information