Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

Question Normal carbon seal wear?

I'm sure you guys all have been asked this a million times but I just want to make sure this looks like normal carbon seal wear.

This is on my 2013 GTI 130 with 18 hours on it. Looks to be a little off center. No water really in the hull. Just a little after a day ride. Just want to make sure this couch isn't going to sink.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5B6F6752-785F-486E-B048-A57C7B02F812.jpg 
Views:	401 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	331013

+1
    From that pic it sure looks like uneven wear!

Needs closer inspection, if confirmed to be uneven you need a engine realignment and or thru hull fitting that is holding the bellows is out of alignment with the shaft. Do a search there have several guys that have had this exact alignment problem.

3. +1 by:

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    From that pic it sure looks like uneven wear!

Needs closer inspection, if confirmed to be uneven you need a engine realignment and or thru hull fitting that is holding the bellows is out of alignment with the shaft. Do a search there have several guys that have had this exact alignment problem.
    Sorry to bump the thread, but I'm trying to learn and understand the black magic science of the carbon seal set up!

Am I right in saying that the bellows is the only component creating the pressure between the support plate and face of the carbon seal?

Also, is the only two points of rotational friction at;

a) between the drive shaft and the inner surface of the carbon seal?
    &
    b) between the faces of the carbon seal and support plate?

Every other component interface, along the driveshaft assembly from PTO to prop splines, is static to each other?

Need to get this clear in my head.

+1
    The engine itself places X amount of pressure on the drive shaft and into the pump with its fore/aft (longitudinal) alignment and position. There is a bunch of pressure being placed on the carbon ring from the bellows and thru hull fitting, which in turn places a lot of pressure onto the floating ring which is held in place by the c-clip on the drive shaft. The pump is clearly fixed but the engine itself can be positioned forward and aft to create the overall tension on the carbon ring seal.

Several components can screw up this critical part from sealing correctly: the engine out of alignment left/right, up/down, fore/aft. The thru hull fitting not being centered correctly around the drive shaft causing the bellows which hold the carbon ring to be misaligned with the floating ring, and or pump shoe miss aligning the pump itself.

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of us that have had these issue to straighten out……once corrected it solves a lot of problems.

Black magic for sure!

+1
    either the engine alignment is off, but my guess is the thru hull fitting is off. I had to redo ATNRyans when I had his ski. it was pretty far off.

+1
    Start reading Troy's thread at post #332 and on, which gives an excellent explanation from Rich at WFO, of how the thru hull fitting being out of alignment can wreck havoc on the carbon ring.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...170389&page=34

8. +1 by:

+1
    She's going to CT Power and Sport tomorrow. Thing has a warrenty so this should be covered. I don't need to be dealing with this at 18 hours.

Chris, thank you for the clarification on that. That's also what I was thinking.

+1
    The guys over at CT Power and Sport are very nice and will treat you right and get your carbon seal problem fixed correctly!

Quote Originally Posted by jpt7779 View Post
    The engine itself places X amount of pressure on the drive shaft and into the pump with its fore/aft (longitudinal) alignment and position. There is a bunch of pressure being placed on the carbon ring from the bellows and thru hull fitting, which in turn places a lot of pressure onto the floating ring which is held in place by the c-clip on the drive shaft. The pump is clearly fixed but the engine itself can be positioned forward and aft to create the overall tension on the carbon ring seal.

Several components can screw up this critical part from sealing correctly: the engine out of alignment left/right, up/down, fore/aft. The thru hull fitting not being centered correctly around the drive shaft causing the bellows which hold the carbon ring to be misaligned with the floating ring, and or pump shoe miss aligning the pump itself.

Unfortunately, there have been a lot of us that have had these issue to straighten out……once corrected it solves a lot of problems.

Black magic for sure!
    Great info as always JT.

One final question, what stops the support plate from sticking static to the carbon seal and instead moving the point of rotation between its inner surface and the driveshaft itself? Whilst there appears to be loads of longitudinal pressure, there appears to be nothing to create pressure to hold the support plate from rotating on the shaft?

Primary Language: Sarcasm Pony Racer's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rxtxruss View Post
    The guys over at CT Power and Sport are very nice and will treat you right and get your carbon seal problem fixed correctly!
    off topic:
    I bought my ski there..

I can honestly say the buying experience was a good one..

my service experience.. lets just say I deal with another dealer in Waterbury, instead of them..

on topic:

that's a lot of carbon dust for only 18 hours.. my machine with 180 didn't have that much dust in the hull

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information