Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Changing the impellar

Hey guys I am putting my new SS wear ring in and also skat trak prop. I am at the impeller removal and just want to be sure I am doing this right, pretty sure I am stuck just because I need more leverage. I have the impeller tool. Sorry for the thousand questions, I am an ape when it comes to stuff like this and it is my the nature to learn from mistakes, which can be a painful or pricey process. However, if you need help with electronics or gardening I am your guy!

Trying to get impeller off by doing this hasn't worked:

I put a pair of vice grips on the rectangular piece on opposite side of prop. Ratchet on prop side, loosening prop to the left via ratchet nothing is budging.

Tomorrow I plan to get a longer ratchet and breaker bar, and also a vice for my workbench to hold rectangular piece on backside.

I just want to check with you guys and make sure I am not forgetting to remove anything else, or spinning the wrong way.

Wear ring replacement is a joke in this thing, as others have said it comes apart fast and easy. With 2 hours on my machine the plastic wear ring already has a decent grove, huge POS.

I also am installing RD sponsons tomorrow, I need a torque wrench though before I install. Removing stock sponsons was easy as pie, and the RD install will be cake as well.

Will be picking at it all week and hopefully by end of week have it all done ready to go finish the break in, muhahaha.

Are you all ready to laugh at me? Might as well share my fantastic Saturday lake trip story with you. So I rode my stock 60hp spark for 20 min and got bored. So I went to go put my 96xp in. Recently my gas cap chain broke, so I put gas in it and didn't realize I didn't put the cap back on. I am about 10 minutes into just straight thrashing the thing when suddenly my grips felt gooey, and I smell gas very strongly. First thought was shit a hose came off I am about to catch fire or blow up. So I bale and swim a little ways away. I then see my gas cap is missing.

Here is the funny part. I got 93 octane all over my chaffed legs, balls and asshole. It wouldn't rinse off on the swim back to shore. I almost teared up in pain, it felt like 1000 ghost peppers rubbed all over my shit. I walked funny as hell while putting my skis on trailer and tore ass home never really completely sitting down in truck from pain, 2 showers later I felt better.

I am a smart dude, but sometimes I just shake my head at how dumb I can be. Lesson learned, don't dip your balls in 93 octane, or your bunghole. Laugh away....

Haha, I laughed... sorry. I'm curious with the majority of the hype being about the solas prop lately, what made you choose the skat trak. I'm sure the performance is similar. Also, why did you get bored with the spark?

+1
    I just used a large socket to loosen it and had the impeller tool in the vise

Quote Originally Posted by jpg.crna View Post
    Haha, I laughed... sorry. I'm curious with the majority of the hype being about the solas prop lately, what made you choose the skat trak. I'm sure the performance is similar. Also, why did you get bored with the spark?
    He was riding 60hp

Quote Originally Posted by Cwf78 View Post
    I just used a large socket to loosen it and had the impeller tool in the vise
    agree with Cwf78, you will never get it off without a vise. i would be curious to see what your stock impeller looks like, mine was corroded significantly after 2 salt water rides.

I finally got ONE!!! ;) RXT-260-DOO's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebonger View Post

Here is the funny part. I got 93 octane all over my chaffed legs, balls and asshole. It wouldn't rinse off on the swim back to shore. I almost teared up in pain, it felt like 1000 ghost peppers rubbed all over my shit. I walked funny as hell while putting my skis on trailer and tore ass home never really completely sitting down in truck from pain, 2 showers later I felt better.

I am a smart dude, but sometimes I just shake my head at how dumb I can be. Lesson learned, don't dip your balls in 93 octane, or your bunghole. Laugh away....
    That there is the funniest shite I've read in a long time, damn, still laughing! Glad your feeling better...

+1
    Now you have bleached your self free of any hair .. lol

+1
    jp.crna- I got the skat trak because it was the only one available when I ordered parts at that time. The skat trak is a 12/14 while the solas is a 12/17, I have no clue wtf that means really as far as performance differences. I realize it is due to the pitch of prop. Anyone care to explain? Also, what ramlax13 said, 60hp is just zzzzzzz. Especially when I have a loud and fast 2 stroke chillin on the trailer. I like to be sore after a ride, nice little workout, from holding on, 60hp can't do that for me. However, going from the spark hull back to an X4 with aggressive sponsons is crazy, I almost throw myself off XP after switching.

CWF78- Thanks, that what I figured, all sweating it to the oldies trying to hand loosen it with short leverage was fun haha.

qmachan- I seen your prop if that thread is yours, that is nuts it corroded that fast. I do have some of the same corrosion but much less. Pretty stupid, 2 hours on machine prop is corroding from fresh water. I will take a picture here in a bit. Only seen one side so far.

RXT260- Thanks...hahaha, it was pretty freaking bad, I am sure, at least I hope, not many will experience that....

Slasher- I just checked, still got hair down there but if it starts falling out I will let you know! lol

Cool sorry to start a thread over something so stupid but I wanted to make sure I didn't need to remove anything else to remove prop, like that big nut in back or something. At least I got to tell you guys about my gas incident....

I will get some pics of prop and wear ring after 2 hours use. I will also update a thread this week with the mods being added, and if course a full report at end of week testing out everything. I am kind of hoping for 58mph, we shall see. If not, crazy low and mid end, neck breaking would be nice. If Riva waterbox and through hull exhaust really adds 5 hp, and factor in addition of intake and flame arrest removal, maybe I can be pushing 115hp+. Excited to see what else comes out for this machine to get me to the 62-65 zone without turbo. If not, turbo next summer. 65 is all I need...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by suicidebonger View Post

Are you all ready to laugh at me? Might as well share my fantastic Saturday lake trip story with you. So I rode my stock 60hp spark for 20 min and got bored. So I went to go put my 96xp in. Recently my gas cap chain broke, so I put gas in it and didn't realize I didn't put the cap back on. I am about 10 minutes into just straight thrashing the thing when suddenly my grips felt gooey, and I smell gas very strongly. First thought was shit a hose came off I am about to catch fire or blow up. So I bale and swim a little ways away. I then see my gas cap is missing.

Name:  rofl0.gif
Views: 185
Size:  8.4 KB Dude...you crack me up. That could have turned out bad...I'm glad nothing really caught on fire or anything like that. I bet you wont ever forget to put the gas cap back on again.

+1
    Just looking at my stock wear ring and it has a lot of wear after only 5.3 hours run time. The lower two/thirds of the ring is evenly worn by rotation of the prop to a depth of about 25-28 thou and the top portion (10 to 2) of the ring is worn in about 5-8 thou. Is this what others are seeing???
    I also tried to put a new wear ring in and found that it doesn't want to fit into the pump like the original which slid in and out no prob. The new one when actually compared side to side with the old one is actually physically bigger in diameter and will not seat in the pump !!! Suggestions ???
    Last edited by Water Pig; 06-02-2014 at 12:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information