Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

How Long Does The Average PWC Last? (Rough Estimate)

I have owned cars, scooters & bicycles but I am now a new PWC owner and I am wondering about how long they last before they are costing more money to fix than its worth.

I know once a car hits about 100,000 miles its towards the end of its life for the most part although it all depends on how it was treated and the type of car.

How many hours would you need before you feel like your PWC is " getting up there in age , old "

Can you multiply a number to the number of hours to equal kind of what it would be like in car millage to get an idea?

I see so many super old skool looking PWCs on craigs list from like the late 80's early 90s and wonder if they just keep rebuilding the engine and things or what.

I live in Miami and plan on riding it a few times a week year round so im wondering how much life I have for my new baby

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    On watercraft the primary lifespan issues are corrosion and engine wear over time.

Corrosion can be managed with fresh water rinsing and careful post-ride maintenance, protective spray products, etc. With salt water riding corrosion is probably the major factor in expected machine lifetime. Periodic removal of critical bolts and nuts to avoid corrosion locking up the threads seems to be helpful.

On the old-school 2-stroke machines it is common and normal to rebuild the engine every so often, perhaps a couple of hundred running hours between rebuilds. A 2-stroke engine rebuild is relatively inexpensive and entire rebuilt engines are typically well under 2 thousand dollars.

Modern four stroke PWC engines are much more expensive to rebuild but also run much longer before needing to be rebuilt. It seems that the more hours the machine is run per month the more hours it last between rebuilds. Rental operators with engines being used every day seem to get huge number of running hours between rebuilds. Using the machine very rarely it will last for years but they seem to prefer being run rather than left sitting for long periods.

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    The Spark is a new ski ....so no real world numbers yet...but from reading the Spark Forum, there seems to be all kinds of problems popping up early in their use....Older 2 stokes are cheap to rebuild, these new 4 strokes are more expensive, like 4 times or more expensive to rebuild the engines....Yamahas (MR 1) are known to run 1000 hrs or more before needing any major motor work....

+1
    Good to know. thanks! i have my Fluid Film and Salt away arriving today via UPS

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightbangin View Post
    Good to know. thanks! i have my Fluid Film and Salt away arriving today via UPS
    What is fluid film and is it for external surface or for the engine area. Thanks
    PS. I Have use salt away for flushing and washing down and it works great

+1
    Its like anything, the more you maintain and take care of it the longer it'll last..but you read all of these horror stories in the different threads I'm a believer that luck has a hand in it too.......good and bad

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    make your ski last longer?..do not lend it to strangers....

I have a dipped in dog doo doo Yamaha vx110 in the shop now that sat floating at a marina for 3 years(fresh water). Clock showed 611 hours and the starter was badly rusted. New starter and the engine purrs like a lion
    (well I have the exhaust manifold off right now to gain access to the rusted starter bolts)..

General rule of Pete:

two strokes 300 hours give or take
    4 strokes 600+ hours (really depends on maintenance and how much wfo operation they've seen)

The local rental guy sells his 4-tecs off at around 600 hours.
    Last edited by K447; 06-04-2014 at 11:35 AM.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocnnrjk View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightbangin View Post
    I have my Fluid Film and Salt away arriving today via UPS
    What is fluid film and is it for external surface or for the engine area. Thanks
    PS. I Have use salt away for flushing and washing down and it works great
    Fluid Film is a lanolin based spray coating product. It is mainly applied to the engine exterior and other inside the hull metal surfaces. It can also be applied to jet pump exterior and linkages, etc. It remains slightly goopy to the touch after application.

+1
    If you take care of it, it will last many, many years. If I'm correct, you have a spark. As long as you didn't get one of the bad ones, it should last you forever. There's really nothing to those machines. It's basically an engine and a hull (and for many people a broken set of handlebars .

+1
    Good info guys. thanks i rode mine for the first time today for 2 hrs. when the waves were choppy i remembered the issues people have had with handle bars breaking and was super gentle. really once you get used to the " motion of the ocean " heheh, you dont have to hang on that tight. im wondering if the cracked handle bar issues have sprung up from tricks trying to be done. im pretty sure the spark wasnt designed for tricks although they can be done. somewhere i heard it was meant for lakes and calm waters. not sure where i heard it of if its true. Hanging loosely also keeps your muscles less tense and less muscle soreness so win win.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information