Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2007 SeaDoo RXT - Possible DESS Post Issue. Thoughts please!

Hi all. I am brand new to the forum as a poster. I have been lurking as a reader for quite some time and this forum has been very helpful.

Here is what I have:

2007 RXT. Dad charged the battery, cleaned it and ran it a few weeks on the trailer ago just to get the "juices flowing".

He put it in the water, but he got NO BEEPS when he put the key on the post. The Gauges DO COME ON but no beeps, therefore won't start. He sent it back up to my house, so I have it now.

Here is what I have done:

Checked continuity on all battery leads to the main posts near the fuses: GOOD.
    Checked Battery: GOOD
    Cleaned DESS Post and Key to ensure good contact: GOOD

Here is where I need your help.

I checked continutiy on the DESS post hardness but want to make sure I am doing it correctly. I read on here that the 2007 has a 4 post DESS and I could easily have ONE of the two switches not working in the POST. One does the gauges and one does the Safety.

KEY OFF:
    Continuity of the Black Wire (Position 1) and the Black/Yellow Wire (Position 3): OPEN
    KEY ON:
    Continuity of the Black Wire (Position 1) and the Black/Yellow Wire (Position 3): CLOSED/GOOD CONTINUTIY. (Okay, this works!)

I read that the black/purple wire is for the DESS functionality. They said it was in position 5 on the harness. (MINE IS ALL PURPLE)
    KEY OFF:
    Continuity of the Black Wire (Position 1) and the Purple Wire (Position 5): OPEN
    KEY ON:
    Continuity of the Black Wire (Position 1) and the Purple Wire (Position 5): OPEN (Not good)

Actually, the ONLY combination that shows continuity with the black wire (position 1) is the black yellow (position 3).

Seems to make sense to me. The switch for the gauges is working ... but the switch for the DESS is not.

Does this make sense.

Any help. The DESS is $114 and the dealer will NOT take it back if I buy it and test and my problem isn't the post.

+1
    If the gauges light up then the dess post isn't your problem. Was the ski "jump" started or otherwise "boosted" from a running vehicle or from the "start" function on a battery charger? Also, while charging the battery the dess key shouldn't be put on. If he placed the dess key on with a charger charging, or boost, jump or anything similar you probably have a fried ecu on your hands.
    Last edited by wkuadam07; 06-02-2014 at 10:36 AM.

Can someone educate me on how to jump the ski with another vehicle. If I can verify that it runs, then hopefully I can rule out the horrible thought of a fried ECU or MPEM.

I have never jumped a jet ski before so I don't know how. Does this bypass the switch and stuff?

Thanks in advance for the help.

+1
    The 07 has two reed switches in the DESS post one might be bad. Also the 07 does not have an MPEM.

Beerdart, you have given me hope again that it may still be the DESS post. Just want to confirm that with the key on, there should be TWO points making continuity with the key on.

Right now, I only have one point making continuity and that is the black and black/yellow.

I may just take my key and multimeter with me to the dealer and check it before I buy it. IF THEY WILL LET ME. Ha ha. Probably not gonna happen.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by e-ec-ecu View Post
    Can someone educate me on how to jump the ski with another vehicle. If I can verify that it runs, then hopefully I can rule out the horrible thought of a fried ECU or MPEM.

I have never jumped a jet ski before so I don't know how. Does this bypass the switch and stuff?

Jump starting is BAD, i was asking if it had ever been done, because this can cause a lot of problems like you are describing...

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by e-ec-ecu View Post

Jump starting is BAD, i was asking if it had ever been done, because this can cause a lot of problems like you are describing...
    Oh okay. Well, obviously it hasn't been done, since I don't even know how.

Thanks.

+1
    Ok, i don't think you get what i am saying... Here it is again... if your dad used jumper cables, or started the ski with the battery charger still hooked up he fried your ecu... there is no special know-how involved...

Yes, it's possible that your dess has one bad switch, but i see a lot more skis messed up because of jumper cables and battery chargers than i do with faulty dess posts...

Quote Originally Posted by wkuadam07 View Post
    Ok, i don't think you get what i am saying... Here it is again... if your dad used jumper cables, or started the ski with the battery charger still hooked up he fried your ecu... there is no special know-how involved...

Yes, it's possible that your dess has one bad switch, but i see a lot more skis messed up because of jumper cables and battery chargers than i do with faulty dess posts...
    Completely understand. I have to reach out to him to find that out. It is completely possible that he did put the key on during charging... and possibly even try starting it.

Also, I appreciate your patience with me. At first, I thought you were suggesting me to jump start it ... to test it. But, that is NOT what you were asking. My dad may have inadvertently done one of the things you mentioned ... but I have to ask him. Sure hope not.

Thanks again. I feel like I know cars ... but jet skis I am so much less confident with when it comes to the components.

Update: It is NOT the DESS Post!

I went back home and checked the wires again. Initially I thought my wiring did NOT have a black/purple wire because it was not in the same harness as the other wires. But, with my ski there is a smaller harness with only two wires in it ... and one of them WAS a black/purple.

So, I checked continuity with key OFF and key ON and it worked like it was supposed to.

Black to Black/Yellow - OPEN with Key OFF --- CLOSED with Key ON (Good)

Black to Black/Purple - OPEN with Key OFF --- CLOSED with Key ON (Good)

So, now what?

I have traced all of the wiring and power and they are all good. I even read about corroded wires inside the red rubber molding, but was able to successfully trace power from that molding ot the two 30A fuses locations in the fuse box. The only thing I am thinking now is possibly the RELAY in the fuse box but it too appears to be okay (I checked mechanical functionality by manually switching it, but don't know if it works with 12V). I am going to look at this today with a new relay ... if I can find one. Otherwise, I am going to the Stealership to get it looked at.

I sure hope my dad didn't start this thing while it was charging and fry the ECU. That would make my low-hour (94hrs) 2007 Jet Ski sit in my yard for a while due to the cost of the repair.

Any other thoughts I should check? I also read that this model (2007 RXT) does not have an MPEM? Is that correct?

Thanks for all of your help so far.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information