Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

+1

My first attempt at a rack for FX Cruiser

Thought I share my design!

I still need to add the rod holders (2 inch black PVC), and then probably coat it with spray on bed liner ..
    I wanted a rack that would cost me less than $100, it would not cover the water spray in the back, I would still be able to open the little rope compartment in the back, and have the
    ice chest be at the seat hight.

So far it fulfills all of those needs, and I'm way under $100 on the cost.

Will post more picks when it's all done, tested, and sprayed....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140524_002.jpg 
Views:	287 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	331066   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20140524_004.jpg 
Views:	229 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	331067  

Looks good, Make sure to tie the cooler lid down or turn in backwards. Mine has a latch and still flies open when I'm going over 50 mph.

I think you'll have issues with stability. I'd recommend adding some more PVC to the bottom to give you a wider base.

Something like this...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401736894461.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	36.9 KB 
ID:	331073  
    Last edited by chrisnatca; 06-02-2014 at 03:34 PM.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisnatca View Post
    I think you'll have issues with stability. I'd recommend adding some more PVC to the bottom to give you a wider base.

Something like this...
    I agree not to mention it might be a little weak. My wife broke the first one I made that was only half that high. Solution I filled all the large pipe spaces with couplings, in other words there is no pipe showing, all fittings butted togather. Cost 2 times the $ but a hellva lot stronger

+1
    Bed liner is a awsome idea I bed line everything never thought about the rack..... I have 2 qaurts of raptor sitting on the shelf....... idea stolen.

+1

Something like this...
    I'm going to agree with chris on the footings. At any rate, I highly recommend some foam pipe insulation on all the PVC making contanct w/the ski's deck. It won't take long for the piping to make permanent grooves in your matt. Actually, I'd use an old beach towel folded over the matt as well.

Great looking design though; please report back on your experience w/the ride characteristics once you've take it out.

+1
    Thanks for the pointers ...The way that I designed the rack, and you probably can't see it from the pics, is for it to lean forward, and down with weight. So, the heavier it is, the more stable it is.
    There is also a middle load bearing PVC that will also get tied to the ski rope loop. I will also add the same foam to the footing connections as the one that is used for the connection to the passenger grab.

My weight is almost 200 pounds, and I can easily sit on the ice chest without any issues.

I have plenty of extra pvc, so I think I will learn a lot more after my first on water test, and adjust design as needed ...
    Hopefully it will work ... -

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but.....

Your center of gravity is SO high, and your base is SO narrow, I think you're flirting with disaster.

Using examples we're all familiar with...

You don't see skyscrapers with the lower floors narrower than the higher floors. Wedding cakes are made with the larger, heavier parts on the bottom. The base of a tire jack is wider than the top.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I really don't want to see you lose all your stuff in the ocean.

+1
    I'm really not trying to rain on your parade, but.....

Your center of gravity is SO high, and your base is SO narrow, I think you're flirting with disaster.

Using examples we're all familiar with...

You don't see skyscrapers with the lower floors narrower than the higher floors. Wedding cakes are made with the larger, heavier parts on the bottom. The base of a tire jack is wider than the top.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop there. I really don't want to see you lose all your stuff in the ocean.
    Point well taken, but all of those examples do not have anchors in the general design. This design is also leaning on the ski, so the logical SQ footage support is pretty close to the highest point.
    I'll test it out this weekend, and see what happens ... It's either going to be a disaster, or will it turn out to be a viable design, or more modifications needed ...
    Cheers.

+1
    Nice thing is pvc is cheap, use it a few times find the weak spots and improve as needed. Just make sure you submit it to vigerous test before finishing it off with paint, or bedliner.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information